ROS upgrade and Vac Suction
I have a Nilfisk and like it very much, doubt you could go wrong with either. Is there a reason you want it with the HEPA filter, that does drive the cost up some. I like having the auto start stop feature, very handy with a sander.
Fred and ET, I appreciate your responses.

I have always thought that variable speed controls are prone to failure, or prone to developing a poor connection.  Like the potentiometers on the controls of my 1970's receivers.  I want this vac to last a good 10 years plus in a dusty environment (more would be a bonus).  

I am sure the tool triggering could be handy, but I have been spooked from enough reports of "electronics failures" in some of these units.  I don't know that was specifically mentioned for Nilfisk or not.

I would not be without the HEPA.  I just want to know that I am getting the best filtration possible for the fine sanding powder.  I will also use the bags to help keep dust off the filter.

ET - which Nilfisk do you have?  I know you mentioned it somewhere, but now I am forgetting.  Thanks.
Steve
I have the Metabo sander in orange drag. Ridgid sold it under their color and name for several years before they designed their own. It was the 2610. 
     The current sander is the 2611. I have both. Both are good machines with the 2611 actually having some benefits over the Metabo made 2610. The dust collection is better on the 2611 and most importantly the backing pads are readily available for the 2611. I can get a two pack of backing pads on amazon for less than one for the Metabo and the Metabo one doesn't last any longer. 

As for vacs I have a shop vacation under the bench with a separator cyclone and it works fine. It does such down to the material some so being able to slow the vacation some would be nice but you could just use a cheap mini vacation with less suction and a cyclone for a cheaper set up and smaller. 

If you really want to go high end with the vacation I prefer the bosch units. They have the pulse bac system that continually cleans the filter. The models with that are very pricey but nice.
(02-20-2018, 06:30 PM)arnman Wrote: Fred and ET, I appreciate your responses.

I have always thought that variable speed controls are prone to failure, or prone to developing a poor connection.  Like the potentiometers on the controls of my 1970's receivers.  I want this vac to last a good 10 years plus in a dusty environment (more would be a bonus).  

I am sure the tool triggering could be handy, but I have been spooked from enough reports of "electronics failures" in some of these units.  I don't know that was specifically mentioned for Nilfisk or not.

I would not be without the HEPA.  I just want to know that I am getting the best filtration possible for the fine sanding powder.  I will also use the bags to help keep dust off the filter.

ET - which Nilfisk do you have?  I know you mentioned it somewhere, but now I am forgetting.  Thanks.

I have the Nilfisk Aero 31-21 INOX. It's pet name is R2D2. Think I paid in the low 300's when I got it a couple of years ago. It's not the hepa version, but I have run bags with it and they run pretty clean compared to a standard filter. I'm not sure about running both the bag and filter at the same time, it may not provide enough suction or there may be space issues in the canister. I would check with Sylvane or find the owners manual and see what they say about it.
(02-20-2018, 06:30 PM)arnman Wrote: I am sure the tool triggering could be handy, but I have been spooked from enough reports of "electronics failures" in some of these units.  I don't know that was specifically mentioned for Nilfisk or not.

I have the sears ($20.00 at the time) add-on tool trigger unit, about 15 years old now. Plugs into a recp., then the vac and sander plug into it.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Stwood, I will keep that option in mind. I didn't even know that existed!
Steve
(02-20-2018, 09:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have the sears ($20.00 at the time) add-on tool trigger unit, about 15 years old now. Plugs into a recp., then the vac and sander plug into it.
Winkgrin

Those were a good deal. Unfortunately they quit selling them many years ago. Very good deal compared to what they sell for now. I had one but it dissapeared...
(02-20-2018, 11:39 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Those were a good deal. Unfortunately they quit selling them many years ago. Very good deal compared to what they sell for now. I had one but it dissapeared...

Hmmm. Yes, bummer.
Angry  Google shows about 2010 the demise/funeral of that switch.

They are carrying another brand, about 40.00

http://www.sears.com/dgc-products-dgc-pr...AQodVK0EnA
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

In order not to have to start a new thread and since i have all the vacuum experts gathered in one place.

My Rigid Lunchbox vacuum has been only okay.  I feel the included filter clogs too quickly in my opinion.  When i open it up the filter is completely clogged.  I take it outside and bang it out, then return it to the vacuum and have better suction which dies off quickly.  It still sucks but is probably missing a large percentage of it's suckage capacity.

With a dust collection system now I will use the Dust collector hoses to the majority of the cleanup.  I want this vacuum to be for a tool for use with my sander.  Would a bag instead of a filter make things better or worse?

Secondary question as it is likely I will be investing in a better system this summer:  If you have a high end sander and vacuum, like Festool do you still wear a respirator and hearing protection when sanding?
A carpenter's house is never done.
Better to have a vac with both bag and filter. Bag will (should) catch everything (most) before the air enters the filter, leaving the filter unclogged. My older FeinII never clogs the filter.

I wear no face mask nor ear plugs when sanding. Vac is fairly quiet.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020