isolated cabin
Just wondering what some of you folks are using for lighting and refrigeration in your cabins without electricity?
Rolleyes Stan
(02-12-2018, 10:15 AM)bgosh Wrote: Just wondering what some of you folks are using for lighting and refrigeration in your cabins without electricity?
Rolleyes Stan

We had a cabin without electricity 20 years back. We had propane lights and a propane refrigerator, a hand pump on a sand point for water, and a barrel wood stove. There was an outhouse out back. No problems staying for a couple weeks at a time.
we moved up northway when i was 12- had the property for a few years before and spent summers up there in a travel trailer with no electicity.
lanterns and bonfires for light. we dug a hole,set a cooler in it, put some foam board around the outsides of the cooler, then backfilled. it  worked pretty darn good at keepin things cool in there.
ice chest and oil lamps.

wood stove heat.

out house.

we are not there much.

Winkgrin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(02-12-2018, 10:15 AM)bgosh Wrote: Just wondering what some of you folks are using for lighting and refrigeration in your cabins without electricity?
Rolleyes Stan

I have a neighbor that for the most part is off the grid in the middle of town.  He has panels on the roof for hot water and more for electricity.  Has tanks for collecting rain water off the roof only thing he had in his design the city wouldn't allow was composting toilet.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I'm not fortunate enough to have my own, but I've stayed in at least 4 of them thaat weren't mine, and evryone used LP for both lights and refrigeration. In one case there was a bulk tank to provide the fuel, but that was an outfitters camp and he had them in once a year to fill it. The others used those 100# bottles the owners carried in/out on 4 wheelers.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Rolleyes Stan

Thanks for the comments guys.My first impression for lights was bottled gas / but I have done a little searching but so far I have not been able to find any fixtures.
(02-12-2018, 01:40 PM)bgosh Wrote: Thanks for the comments guys.My first impression for lights was bottled gas / but I have done a little searching but so far I have not been able to find any fixtures.

https://www.lehmans.com/category/gas-lights
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-12-2018, 01:40 PM)bgosh Wrote: Thanks for the comments guys.My first impression for lights was bottled gas / but I have done a little searching but so far I have not been able to find any fixtures.

Humphrey is a common brand. Try searching for propane lights
(02-12-2018, 03:08 PM)jasfrank Wrote: Humphrey is a common brand. Try searching for propane lights

I fish up on the Gouin Reservoir in north central Quebec, propane stove, refrig and lights (which are pretty good, actually); wood heat; battery charged by solar for pumping water into a cistern for running water, propane water heater for showers, outhouse.  Got to bring your drinking water.  Everything is flown in by a De Havilland Beaver made in 1954.  Amazingly civilized, they fly us in, we spend a week then they pick us up.  We generally see no other people during the week, and when we see other fishermen in a boat it is an exception, and we stop and talk and swap beer. When we first started going up, 20 years ago, no frig, no shower, no running water; they had some block ice underground for cooling the beer and food.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis