Hoist hung from attic trusses?
Take a good look at that bottom chord. A lot of them aren't one single piece, it's two pieces joined in the middle with connector plates.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

your trusses aren't designed for a point load.  Find another way.
A moving dolly and a good stout lever ( or two).

As I have pointed out many times on this forum,
Archimedes is your friend.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
If it's really only 400 pounds then just run a few boards across to mount the winch to and all is good. It's no different  than a 400 pound gorilla (ie big construction worker with tools) hanging from the joists and in fact probably less load as it would be spread over more. But that's if it's really 400 pounds.

Most are with you on the getting rid of the tub. Realtors like to see those big tubs but owners of them rarely use them. And if they do use them they stop very quickly after the first month as they cost a fortune to use. Daughter has a new apartment with a big tub. She used nearly as much gas as we did for our house and she only has gas water and gas logs for looks. She won't be using that tub much in the future...
Thanks all for the feedback. 

Going to stay out of the attic and build a poor-man's gantry with paired up 2x4s for the legs and a 2x6 header.
(02-13-2018, 08:59 AM)joe1086 Wrote: Thanks all for the feedback. 

Going to stay out of the attic and build a poor-man's gantry with paired up 2x4s for the legs and a 2x6 header.

That's what I'd do.
WoodNET... the new safespace