Design Ideas / Swiss-Army / SkewBlockPlane multifunction Nightstand ?
The mockup is morphing into a real table.  The table is proportionately a little more "foofoo" than I thought at first, but I'll go ahead with it after delaying for months.

Legs have crossbars attached now but can still twist a little.  So a torsion-box-like set of table-edge rails will be an important functional part of the design at the end.  Cutting up my cheap composite-molding rails on the miter box, I made one too short.  Oh No!!!   Well, that just turned into a new functional "chamfer corner" that takes some of the awkwardness away from the outer corner near the 3rd leg:

There is also another error in those rails.  I will keep it a secret.

Happy Woodworking!
Chris
The tabletop is now veneered (nice thick oak sheets), and the decor / buttress rails are glued, awaiting final flushing with a plane.  The design stage will pause now.  I may just try this out at the bed for now and then see if any shelf-additions seem handy, after I locate a lamp, etc.

Happy woodworking!
Chris
Chris,  If a bedside Swiss-Army table, how many USB charging ports and how to manage the cables?
(05-07-2018, 03:13 PM)BillMcD Wrote: Chris,  If a bedside Swiss-Army table, how many USB charging ports and how to manage the cables?

Well... I think the scope of my project is shrinking
Smile.  There may not be much "gadget factor" after all.  I think the novelty of 3 legs got rid of some of my restless ideas.

I do have some other master bed/bath tables made over the last 5-10 years.   These were done similarly, using up lumber I had and sort of designed on the fly:

Chris
I'm moving on! 
I liked the natural oak, but it was a bit light-colored for the bedside, and the new LED-based lamp casts a bit of greenish tinge, so I have "sorta" stained it brown to avoid the green/yellow cast.  It's actually a Briwax top-level stain which could be changed one day.
Thanks for watching!

Chris
Cool! One of those "watch what you lean on" things. I hope not!
The nightstand has been working well.   I like the shape, and have some small ideas for improvement if I ever make another one.
*But* the important thing is a good coffee-coaster....

Chris

Chris