question on track saws
With track-saws, let's say the Festool but even with other models, is it really true that you don't actually have to clamp the track to the workpiece anywhere? Does it really reliably sit where you put it and stay (friction alone?) throughout the cut, even across an 8' sheet of plywood? If so, how dependent is that on keeping the surface dust free?
It will stick to bare wood really well, even with a small amount of dust around (haven't tried it with a lot of dust). But I used mine to disassemble a finished TV cabinet, I had to cut it up to reclaim some of the walnut in it. On a finished surface, or any that's slick like melamine or such) you most definitely want to clamp it down, it doesn't slide all over, but it can shift position somewhat...screwing some things up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I inevitably end up clamping on sheet goods and Melamine. I have the Festool rapid pistol grip clamp, which saves me a little time since all the clamping action is on one end.
[Image: dpcabbuild38.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I have used my Festool track saw for years without clamping, except for ONE cut on a vertical surface! Cutting plywood, Formica, aluminum, lumber... it has NEVER slipped. You simply lightly press down on the track with your free hand.
Wood is good. 
Last summer I was ripping 16' long pieces of reclaimed barn siding. Had to clamp the track every cut, not a clean/smooth enough surface to keep the rail in place. The board sagging didn't help either.

Usually it's a non issue, this was an exeption. Having no room for error (no extra material) made clamping a no brainer.

Ed
The track will generally stay where it sits, but just to be sure, I tend to use a spring clamp at one end or both. Not sure if its really necessary, but it only takes a couple of seconds and it doesn't usually budge with them on.
I have only used my clamps on the DeWalt once.  I was making a vertical cut.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I use them. Figure i have them, and i am not in that big a hurry, and id rather have perfect than faster. I have the dewalt clamps that slide in the dewalt track.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(02-13-2018, 09:54 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I use them.  Figure i have them, and i am not in that big a hurry, and id rather have perfect than faster. I have the dewalt clamps that slide in the dewalt track.

Same here -- not that big of a rush, why chance a slip.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
"Figure i have them, and i am not in that big a hurry"

(02-13-2018, 01:16 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: Same here -- not that big of a rush, why chance a slip.

I could unplug my table saw each time I need to adjust the blade height or move the fence, but I don't.

Come on you guys! At least TRY it without clamps. Unless you don't have a Festool.
Wood is good.