Drywall sanders
I guess I'm old school. Do a fair mud job, knock down the high spots with 80g and finish w/180. Generally I use about a 1ft by 3-1/2" block. It is dusty. I like to use a fan blowing out the nearest window and another open window across the room if possible or even in another room near it. To keep the dust localized, I shut off the hvac.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(02-13-2018, 10:20 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I guess I'm old school. Do a fair mud job, knock down the high spots with 80g and finish w/180. Generally I use about a 1ft by 3-1/2" block. It is dusty. I like to use a fan blowing out the nearest window and another open window across the room if possible or even in another room near it. To keep the dust localized, I shut off the hvac.

Something like that ....120 on the finish...pole sander with the black carbide paper made for DW.  If you spackle like a painter, you will sand off half of what you apply, but if you spackle like a taper = minimal sanding. Don't leave high edges and don't overfill! Box fan with an AC filter will do wonders.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I hate sanding, so I try to keep from having to do any. I usually do ok, but there is always something.  I lose concentration while doing corners and leave blobs, for example. Of course, I wouldn't jam a sander into a corner anyway, seems imprudent. 

I was going to buy a sander, but I decided not to do that.  I think it was the right choice.  I got a pole sander, which I think would be nice to have anyway.  And the little foam sanding blocks work well too. I wish my HD had rentals, I think a couple of hours with a sander might be worth it.  The rental places want more for a half day than the Chinese sanders cost.
(02-14-2018, 06:00 PM)EricU Wrote: I hate sanding, so I try to keep from having to do any. I usually do ok, but there is always something.  I lose concentration while doing corners and leave blobs, for example. Of course, I wouldn't jam a sander into a corner anyway, seems imprudent.

I use the Ridgid multi tool mouse pad sander in the corners.  Other than that, like most other people, I do a good job applying the mud.  If I have to take more than 3 strokes (hand sander) on a high spot, to knock it down, I did a poor job mudding.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
The painter I hired for my mom's house just had to sand anything that looked like compound. He wore out my ROS, which he didn't want to use in the first place. His idea was to go buy one from Walmart and take it back when we were done.

(02-13-2018, 06:08 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: I also bought one of the mini dust deputy clones and put it on a 5 gallon bucket and it is mandatory for using a drywall sander. It was $17 shipped and compared to a friend's DD it works better but the inlet sizes are goofy.
where did you find a dust deputy clone for $20?  Amazon has a couple, but they were more than that
I did end up buying the Wen (darn Amazon Prime) and should get try it out this weekend.
The reason I wanted a sander is that I boxed in an existing soffit that is only about 7" high. In order to feather out the corner bead took me right up to the ceiling so I've basically got the face of the soffit made out of mud. I did very thin skim coats to build it up flush and square. I want to try the face of the sander to flatten and smooth that side.
I'll let you know what I think.
(02-15-2018, 06:47 PM)EricU Wrote:   His idea was to go buy one from Walmart and take it back when we were done. 

The minute I hear something shady like that, they are done.  I don't care how good they are, if I cannot trust them, I don't use them.  That is the type of person who would conceal any accidental damage they did, or even go through your stuff when your back is turned.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
it wasn't exactly the best relationship, but it worked out well for me.  House was empty for the most part. It took me 2 years to get ready to sell, couldn't spend any money on it, and this guy was available. If it weren't for him, the house would probably be sitting there still.
Spent the morning trying out the Wen. Dust collection? What dust collection?
Kind of heavy for overhead use, the platen isn't perfectly flat based on the dust accumulated around the outside of the sanding disc.
It does have a steep learning curve to stop the sanding pad from jumping around and burning little half moons in the mud (only about 4 so far?)
Think I'm getting the hang of it and it leveled out my joints and uncovered some low spots.
A Festool it ain't but I knew going in, you get what you pay for.
too bad about the dust collection.  I was thinking I might get one because of dust collection.  If the dust is going to fall to the floor anyway, I might as well use my Gator pole sander, which works pretty well except for the mess.