My new lathe
Hi Gang: I took the plunge and bought a new Laguna Revo 1836, and I couldn't be more pleased. The fit and finish is better that any machine I've ever purchased. The price point of 2,249.00(10% off its regular price) was more than fair considering it's comparable to the Powermatic 3520, a more expensive alternative by more than 1000. bucks. As some of you may know, I turn sitting down on one of these(https://www.amazon.com/Dr-lomilomi-Hydra...tool&psc=1) so I appreciate that the spindle height is lower and I can get my legs under the bed.
I roughed out five bowls yesterday with two being sizable chucks, maybe 25 lbs and it worked beautifully. I can tell this new design was built by woodturners as everything is laided out well and and handle clearances are bidirectional so they are always out of the way of your tool. The 4"travel of the tailstock is handy and I've found it to be an accurate way to measure the bowls bottom thickness.
Again, I'm extremely happy with this new tool!!!
PS the accessories for the lathe are a bit expensive so I found an alternative to the 500.00 wheel set on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Caster-Barn-Retra...ne+casters
Congratulations and I hope you got yourself a good face shield.Lets see some pics.Have fun and safety first.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(02-13-2018, 07:55 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: Hi Gang: I took the plunge and bought a new Laguna Revo 1836, and I couldn't be more pleased. The fit and finish is better that any machine I've ever purchased. The price point of 2,249.00(10% off its regular price) was more than fair considering it's comparable to the Powermatic 3520, a more expensive alternative by more than 1000. bucks. As some of you may know, I turn sitting down on one of these(https://www.amazon.com/Dr-lomilomi-Hydra...tool&psc=1) so I appreciate that the spindle height is lower and I can get my legs under the bed.
I roughed out five bowls yesterday with two being sizable chucks, maybe 25 lbs and it worked beautifully. I can tell this new design was built by woodturners as everything is laided out well and and handle clearances are bidirectional so they are always out of the way of your tool. The 4"travel of the tailstock is handy and I've found it to be an accurate way to measure the bowls bottom thickness.
PS the accessories for the lathe are a bit expensive so I found an alternative to the 500.00 wheel set on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Caster-Barn-Retra...ne+casters

Congratulations !  I look forward to photos of whatever you make.
(02-13-2018, 02:29 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: Congratulations !  I look forward to photos of whatever you make.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh   You sound just like me.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-13-2018, 07:55 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: Hi Gang: I took the plunge and bought a new Laguna Revo 1836, and I couldn't be more pleased. The fit and finish is better that any machine I've ever purchased. The price point of 2,249.00(10% off its regular price) was more than fair considering it's comparable to the Powermatic 3520, a more expensive alternative by more than 1000. bucks. As some of you may know, I turn sitting down on one of these(https://www.amazon.com/Dr-lomilomi-Hydra...tool&psc=1) so I appreciate that the spindle height is lower and I can get my legs under the bed.
I have had one for almost a year and really like it, it's a workhorse for sure. I would buy another in a minute.
I have a question for you.

How much does it weigh?  I am thinking since you sit under it that to help it weigh more and control the (I can not remember the name) when a piece is out of round and does a lot of shaking the weight maybe placed on the legs will help it stay on the ground instead of working all over.

Maybe having a few hundred pounds on each side will help it better?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Sand bags on a shelf bolted to the legs will help reduce vibration. Sand absorbs the vibration; solid heavy materials, no so much.
The real key to reducing or eliminating vibration is having the turning stock as "round" as possible. I do that with a chain saw and a band saw. Then, after mounting the block on my lathe, I take off high spots with a small electric chain saw.
I don't have much of a problem with my most-used lathe - a ONEWAY 2436. Shipping weight was 1200 pounds, soit will handle some pretty heavy stuff. The bed of the ONEWAY is hollow, so I could add several hundred pounds of sand if necessary; however, I've not found that necessary. Besides that, that's where I hide my gold.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
My delta lathe is bolted to the floor. That plus getting blanks as balanced as possible helps a lot with vibration
(02-21-2018, 08:43 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have a question for you.

How much does it weigh?  I am thinking since you sit under it that to help it weigh more and control the (I can not remember the name) when a piece is out of round and does a lot of shaking the weight maybe placed on the legs will help it stay on the ground instead of working all over.

Maybe having a few hundred pounds on each side will help it better?
The lathe is approximately 550 lbs. I've not had a problem with vibration and walking. I love this machine!!!!!