All you need to know about scrapers
More tips, tricks and techniques from the workshop of Paul Hamler Tools..Paul goes into detail about making and using your own scrapers out of various, readily available steels, and he demonstrates a quick way to put a hair-popping edge on them...I guarantee you will learn some time saving techniques that you can adapt to your own methods of work... He shows how to determine what type of steel you have by the type of spark it throws off your grinding wheel as you are sharpening, and a way you can make a scraper that will cut on both edges, one producing coarse shavings and the fine shavings on the other edge. It's so easy a cave man {or woman} can do it. He describes the type of blade he uses on his vintage Walker-Turner bandsaw and why it cuts as smooth as it does. He also describes how he can easily make and transfer wire inlay patterns using draftsman's clear mylar...It's a brand new Youtube video that has only been out a day or so...You can subscribe to Paul's channel so you wont miss a single issue..I have watched them all and have never failed to learn something new that I can use...I am now splicing some real old abrasive belts that have come apart due to the glue aging, using Pauls instructions in another one of his videos. That problem has confused so many of us over the years....Be sure to watch his other videos and subscribe to his channel so you wont miss his new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOV9QYiMTw&t=1835s
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Neat! Watched the whole thing and will need to try the HSS scrapers. Thanks for the link.
(02-16-2018, 12:44 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Neat! Watched the whole thing and will need to try the HSS scrapers. Thanks for the link.
I'm glad you enjoyed it....I made a small scraper out of a .010" slitting cutter last night and sharpened it as Paul demonstrates and it works as advertised!!!!!!!...It broke like a piece of glass the first time it touched the grinding wheel tho, because it is so thin, but I managed to salvage it..I don't think I would recommend using a cutter that is less than about 20thou because mine had a tendency to vibrate as the wheel abraded it..That's what caused it to break. That may not have happened if the grinder rest was closer to the wheel, but I didn't think to adjust it at the time...I think those slitting cutters would make excellent blades for beaders also...because they are HSS and stay sharp so much longer than ordinary tool steel.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Paul is good, but he doesn't know everything! Several years, maybe ten years now, I offered him a piece of that extreme polished carbide, similar to what I sent to you, and he was not interested! Dayam, I wasn't selling it, I was giving it away!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-16-2018, 10:12 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Paul is good, but he doesn't know everything!  Several years, maybe ten years now, I offered him a piece of that extreme polished carbide, similar to what I sent to you, and he was not interested!  Dayam, I wasn't selling it, I was giving it away!
Smart folks learn something new almost every day, Tony. I'll bet a ten dollar bill Paul knows about carbide but probably already had some of it in stock..
Big Grin
BTW, I use mine all the time...and appreciate the pre-paid gift !!! You sure can't do better than FREE !!!!
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-16-2018, 12:39 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Smart folks learn something new almost every day, Tony. I'll bet a ten dollar bill Paul knows about carbide but probably already had some of it in stock..
Big Grin
  BTW, I use mine all the time...and appreciate the pre-paid gift !!! You sure can't do better than FREE !!!!  
Big Grin

But I bet he didn't have one so highly polished! I've never seen any of the commercial carbide burnishers of the same grade or mirror polish.

One of these days, I may specify a piece with a triangular cross section-point (not sharp) with the other two points in an arc. I've also found thinner burnishers do the job easier & better, by concentrating the force (hence the triangular shape).
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-16-2018, 08:11 PM)Tony Z Wrote: But I bet he didn't have one so highly polished!  I've never seen any of the commercial carbide burnishers of the same grade or mirror polish.

One of these days, I may specify a piece with a triangular cross section-point (not sharp) with the other two points in an arc.  I've also found thinner burnishers do the job easier & better, by concentrating the force (hence the triangular shape).
"I've also found thinner burnishers do the job easier & better, by concentrating the force (hence the triangular shape)."

Yes...thinner is definitely better for the reason you say..I have used the 1/4 shank of a 100% carbide end mill which works pretty well, but they are not highly polished..so consequently the burr is not as polished.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I just got around to watching this.  Wow, there is a lot of great material in there.  I liked his voice; somehow I had assumed he was British before now.
My morning was on miniature stuff, so this was very timely!
Chris
(02-17-2018, 04:44 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: I just got around to watching this.  Wow, there is a lot of great material in there.  I liked his voice; somehow I had assumed he was British before now.
My morning was on miniature stuff, so this was very timely!

He used to/maybe still does, go to lots of the MWTCA shows and others, such as Brown etc., usually with stuff for sale.
www.metaltech-pm.com