NEC Question
Okay, moving onto the next project (at my church this time).

Replacing our old halogen parking lot fixtures with the new LED ones (fixtures are over 30 yrs old, breaking when I go to replace the bulbs). The pigtails on the new fixtures are falling about a foot short of the junction box, can't move the box, can't move the fixtures. Does the NEC allow to use butt connectors to join the wires, and shrinkable tubing to waterproof the whole thing? All of this is out in the open, not inside the building nor underground.

The pigtail from the fixture is flexible stranded wiring in a 3/8" rubber sleeve. I can purchase similar wiring from the local hardware store, or use existing UF wiring, if either makes a difference.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
What sort of fixtures/mounting are we talking about?

Any pics?
Splices are not allowed in conduit if that applies.   Can you splice on longer wires in the fixture ?  Splices should be accessible.   Look at temperature rating of the fixture wire to see if something special is required. Roly
(02-16-2018, 01:35 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: What sort of fixtures/mounting are we talking about?

Any pics?

This is the item in question. It's a rectangular bracket that (because of swing) has to be wall mounted. The current junction box is mounted on the top of the rim on a flat roof (cement rim).

LED Lighting
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(02-16-2018, 01:49 PM)Roly Wrote: Splices are not allowed in conduit if that applies.   Can you splice on longer wires in the fixture ?  Splices should be accessible.      Look at temperature rating of the fixture wire to see if something special is required.   Roly

No, the splice would not be inside a conduit.
No, I would have to disassemble the fixture, and that is not possible, it is factory sealed with no screws to access the inside.
Since the splices would be inside a shrink wrap the would be as easily accessible as if they were in a junction box.
Nothing special, it's a 150w LED lamp with a standard electric tool-type cord (sans the plug).
Mike

If you can access the wire to do a splice, can you get enough wire to put in another in-line electrical box for a splice?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-16-2018, 03:24 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: If you can access the wire to do a splice, can you get enough wire to put in another in-line electrical box for a splice?

I was trying to get around that, because it would mean drilling for the light, drilling and mounting another box, doing it 8 times.

I found the solution, apparently others have had this problem as well. darn bright them Yanks.

Inline connector
Mike

All splices must be in an approved enclosure ie metal or plastic box. Plug in connectors are ok as they are like extension cords. 

On an application like yours I just replace the pigtail with a longer one. Usually the cord on those lights is crap anyway and a better quality wire is a benefit.