Saw Sharpening Tip
(02-18-2018, 08:15 AM)Admiral Wrote: It was not so much clogged, as that wasn't happening, it just cut down on cleaning up the file.  I think I'm getting some magnetization or something going on......

ok magnetizing is another thing. I never heard of chalk against it, but will try next time I get in contact with magnetizing. Usually I throw the file away then.

Cheers
Pedder
Throw it away?   Throw them my way!!

If folks don't know, these things work and are inexpensive:     

Attached Files Image(s)

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(02-18-2018, 02:19 AM)Pedder Wrote: SNIP>>

The funniest thing, I've seen was gent from england, who waxes his saw file.

Cheers
Pedder

Does he polish it too?
(02-18-2018, 09:56 AM)Pedder Wrote: ok magnetizing is another thing. I never heard of chalk against it, but will try next time I get in contact with magnetizing. Usually I throw the file away then.

Cheers
Pedder

I'm kinda with you, Pedder, I've never used chalk or anything but a file card on my files.  I've noticed that when a file gets something stuck in a file tooth that needs to be scraped out, I notice it immediately with the next file stroke, but that only happens when I'm filing much too aggressively. Files do vary, however, from maker to maker and some files will be more prone to not releasing the filings.

As for magnetizing, I hate when that happens.

Marv
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
(02-18-2018, 01:25 PM)MarvW Wrote: I'm kinda with you, Pedder, I've never used chalk or anything but a file card on my files.  I've noticed that when a file gets something stuck in a file tooth that needs to be scraped out, I notice it immediately with the next file stroke, but that only happens when I'm filing much too aggressively. Files do vary, however, from maker to maker and some files will be more prone to not releasing the filings.

As for magnetizing, I hate when that happens.

Marv
If you have a pistol grip soldering gun like the one shown in the link, you have an excellent DE-magnetizing {or magnetizing} device already...To use it, remove the soldering tip by loosening the nuts, them make a loop about 3" in diameter out of single-strand 14/16 gauge copper wire {like used in house wiring}..Strip the insulation off and bend the ends to fit in the soldering gun, taking the place of the original tip...To use it, pull the trigger and turn on the gun, then run your file, screwdriver or whatever needs demagnetizing in and out of the loop {keep the power on}...The tool will lose it's magnetism...If you WANT to magnetize the tool, insert the tool and while it is in the loop, turn the switch OFF..The tool will then be magnetized...
I did this for fifty years until I finally bought a manufactured large demagnetizer like the one Mark shows...

https://www.amazon.com/Allied-Tools-Watt...B00G6M6QEK
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I had forgotten that trick Jack. Thanks for posting it.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me