Ocsillating Spindle Sander?
I'm keepin' an eye out for a (local) used floor standing ocsillating spindle sander. There was a nice mint condition Jet jovs-10 on recently I spent too time researching on, and someone beat me to it by a few minutes. Kinda kicking myself on that one because it was so cheaply priced. 

I have a guy with a Bormac Oscilating Spindle sander. Oil submerged gear box, all the spindles are there and appears well taken care of. Also has a rolling/locking steel platform. 110/220 optional. I don't know anything more about it than that. I don't know th e model. it does look older, but it real nice condition. Looks stout and built more for commercial, but I don"t know yet as I'm waiting on a reply back from him. I can't find any info on it by internet what so ever either. Not even the name 'Bormac' registers anything. Weird.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about this machine? Would I be better waiting for another Jet jovs-10 to pop up instead or look for something elser? I'd lprefer something larger,  or I'd go the bench-top route. Hoping to find something in the $4-$500 range - used. My worry on the Bormac is that mechanical parts may be impossible to find/get should it ever wear or fail? 

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice to point me in the right direction? Pleeease feel free. I'm not as familiar with these machines. I'm in-cooperating wood work into my shop, and tying to make decisions I won't regret. So  far I like the Jet best. But, what do I know? Is there's another brand & model that I should look for?   Thanks in advance to all!!
(02-17-2018, 10:07 PM)SpiderDave Wrote: Does anyone have any recommendations or advice to point me in the right direction? 

Rigid makes a oscillating belt and spindle sander.  I bought mine used for about $100, but I think they retail for $200.  It's a fairly light tool and not in the category of what you are looking at if the used price is $400+.  I am not sure what a nicer spindle sander gets you but my lightweight one really comes in handy.  I like that it is portable as I usually take it outside when it is time to do some sanding to save the dust cleaning effort.
A carpenter's house is never done.
I run the Grizzly G1071 and used those are in that price range.  Its valuable, I make guitars sometimes and its great for that.  Other things as well, I couldn't live without it now.
(02-17-2018, 11:31 PM)Pondracer Wrote: I run the Grizzly G1071 and used those are in that price range.  Its valuable, I make guitars sometimes and its great for that.  Other things as well, I couldn't live without it now.

Funny you mentioned that one. I was on Grizzly after putting this thread up looking at that same machine. Guitars are one of the things I'd be using to make mine also,... Haha! That machine looked pretty nice and fit the bill. Will put it on my list of things to look out for. Thanks!
(02-17-2018, 10:39 PM)photobug Wrote: Rigid makes a oscillating belt and spindle sander.  I bought mine used for about $100, but I think they retail for $200.  It's a fairly light tool and not in the category of what you are looking at if the used price is $400+.  I am not sure what a nicer spindle sander gets you but my lightweight one really comes in handy.  I like that it is portable as I usually take it outside when it is time to do some sanding to save the dust cleaning effort.

Thanks Photobug, I was considering getting a smaller one originally. There are some pretty nice ones out there I was looking at the Delta Bench top a while back. I'd even considered buying one and building a table for it to be recessed into, to get what I wanted out of it - especially since I have no shelf or storage space left at all to put another tool. It would need to be able to roll around on it's own stand. Another thing was getting the largest spindles I could. Table top space is the biggest motivator for the larger one. I tend to have some large and sometimes heavy pieces of wood, for me at least. So that extra table space on my other tools helps me a lot with stability and my limitations. So I figured I'd try & have the same with this tool. I feel better having some weight to the machine too for when my bad back gets a mind of its own, even with locking wheels. I ended up raising the height and welding a lean bar on my table saw for that same reason - after the second close call. Ha! Have you ever seen a handrail in a shower? It looks like that. My neighbor has it right now and he loves it. Maybe I'm onto something? 

I do need a drum or spindle sander for metal work. Do you think you Rigid would do that type of work? Mostly just cleaning up the edges on 18-24 GA. sheet metal and maybe occasionally some light shaping. I've wanted to try a bench top SS for that.
About 8 years ago, I bought the Porter-Cable 'hand-held' oscillating sander from Amazon shown below (seems to have been D/C) - has variable speed and can accommodate 1/2" to 2" spindle sizes - I've used the machine on several projects to even up a face frame and also built a stand to mount the machine upside down - works great w/ two or more pieces, esp. w/ curves held together w/ double-side tape - makes quick work of identically matching the contours.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
(02-18-2018, 02:30 AM)SpiderDave Wrote: Thanks Photobug, I was considering getting a smaller one originally. There are some pretty nice ones out there I was looking at the Delta Bench top a while back. I'd even considered buying one and building a table for it to be recessed into, to get what I wanted out of it - especially since I have no shelf or storage space left at all to put another tool. 

It sounds like our needs are very different.  This tool was part of my arsenal when I did not have a shop but a bunch of portable tools to move outside when it was time to make sawdust.  I have only used it for wood also.  Doing metalworking I see why you might need more horsepower.  I am working with smaller gauge metal now and am having trouble with it at 26 and 30 gauge.

It is robust enough to work with my needs sanding curved shapes to a line or ganging boards together to make matching pieces.  Usually the boards I work with are 4 feet or shorter so not hard to manipulate on a smaller table.  So far this has been a great investment and covers my needs.

Crazy you have room for a large power tool but no bench space.  If you have floorspace for a tool, you have room for another bench for more tools?
I can't help much with input on the spindle sander and only recently obtained my Ridgid Oscillating Belt & Spindle Sander so don't have a lot of time wracked up on it, though thus far I have been quite pleased.  

I am in the process of completing a combination workbench / assembly / outfeed table in which I incorporated a 30" x 30" drop-down area for portable equipment.  While the drop-down height is sized more for my small router table and to provide a comfortable height to sit and work with the scroll saw, it also works great for the sander and to bring the surface up to height and support larger pieces, a 2x4 or such can be laid on the bench to help.  I place the sander on the lower shelf when not in use.  I'm not sure if any of this helps a lot in your situation but it could provide some food for thought.

Attached Files Image(s)

There's a jet local to me for $325

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/d/j...47685.html
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-18-2018, 12:39 PM)BattleRidge Wrote: I am in the process of completing a combination workbench / assembly / outfeed table in which I incorporated a 30" x 30" drop-down area for portable equipment.  While the drop-down height is sized more for my small router table and to provide a comfortable height to sit and work with the scroll saw, it also works great for the sander and to bring the surface up to height and support larger pieces, a 2x4 or such can be laid on the bench to help.  

If I were to do that I would work hard to make sure the surface allowed the level to be exact with the level of the bench.  Make that tool shelf lower and then add an appropriate thickness boards under each tool to make the surfaces of the tools level with the bench.