Ocsillating Spindle Sander?
(02-19-2018, 11:25 AM)Cooler Wrote: I have this Rigid sander.  I misplaced the "key" and it was not operational. I had to order the key from a third party vendor as no one at Home Depot could order any replacement parts for this. 

And why a key for a sander?  I have far more dangerous machines in my shop and none have a "key".  Crazy.

Just guessing it is a common part between other Ridged tools therefore cost saving. Just a guess.
Ag
I researched and couldn't find anything. But when you guys mentioned State and Max, I looked into those. Well worth the education alone to investigate them. Thanks for the reference!! Otherwise I wouldn't have found anything at all. It's pretty darn similar! I included a photo. Probably a knock off or generic version of the time. Or as mentioned in an earlier reply, a less common one here in the States. I want to assume most parts are likely interchangeable to some degree if I ever needed them. What I couldn't get, I might be able to make or have made. But with this one he had ALL of the spindles and plates. Runs great. Looks in good shape for its age. He has a guy looking at it today. If he passes, I'm next. BUt that was 6 hrs ago. I'm not holding my breath, but a little heart broken anyway. I know there'll be others, eventually.  But I can still pout a little. At least now we know something about a Bormac machine.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-19-2018, 10:10 AM)photobug Wrote: Your description of your shop space sounds like mine.  Think chinese puzzle.

Have you looked at a flip-top stand.  I built one years ago and it holds my thickness planer and scroll saw, which i guess is a big mistake as when I searched youtube for fliptop workstands every video had the rigid spindle sander and thickness planer as the tools that belongs in these stands.  I think I need to make another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLSIgyhlwuU

Okay now, that IS awesome. I've thought about something similar, but in my mind I over engineered it so I never bothered taking it seriously. That is great, thanks photobug! 

Chinese puzzle? Outside of where my table and actual work space is. Are you like me and you go down a winding path and think about how much further you actually walked to get to where you were goin? Hmm,..follow me we'll meander over here, turn left, go a few feet, turn right, watch out for that stuff there. Turn sideways through this area and here we are.... 6 ft on the other side of the area we just left! My wife keeps telling me if I get rid of the black leather Craig's List freebie couch in the middle, I'd have more options. But that's my thinkin' chair, no way. Aside from everything else, I was given a free truck load of materials a few months ago. I could not say no. It's gona be tight for a while, but worth it times over.
(02-19-2018, 10:45 PM)SpiderDave Wrote: Okay now, that IS awesome. I've thought about something similar, but in my mind I over engineered it so I never bothered taking it seriously. That is great, thanks photobug! 

Chinese puzzle? Outside of where my table and actual work space is. Are you like me and you go down a winding path and think about how much further you actually walked to get to where you were goin? Hmm,..follow me we'll meander over here, turn left, go a few feet, turn right, watch out for that stuff there. Turn sideways through this area and here we are.... 6 ft on the other side of the area we just left! My wife keeps telling me if I get rid of the black leather Craig's List freebie couch in the middle, I'd have more options. But that's my thinkin' chair, no way. Aside from everything else, I was given a free truck load of materials a few months ago. I could not say no. It's gona be tight for a while, but worth it times over.

My garage is about 24x24 feet but I have lost 2 feet on all sides with storage and utilities.  I have a brewing rig that is bigger than any or my woodworking tools.  Right now my miter saw and table saw are the only tools with a permanent location.  With my dust collection almost installed I can put some of the extra parts into storage.  Finishing a few of my projects and reorganizing my shop would go a long way to making things better.  That's tomorrow's project.

Check out this double flip stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzfoYfWfSq4

Below is the chinese puzzle.

Attached Files Image(s)

A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-19-2018, 11:34 PM)photobug Wrote: My garage is about 24x24 feet but I have lost 2 feet on all sides with storage and utilities.  I have a brewing rig that is bigger than any or my woodworking tools.  Right now my miter saw and table saw are the only tools with a permanent location.  With my dust collection almost installed I can put some of the extra parts into storage.  Finishing a few of my projects and reorganizing my shop would go a long way to making things better.  That's tomorrow's project.

Check out this double flip stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzfoYfWfSq4

Below is the chinese puzzle.

Man, it just keeps gettin' better and better! Thanks for that. It's got me tinkering in my head now. Why couldn't a guy just use a foot lever action pedal to disengage pins (hands free), flip the table and then release foot pedal? Have it spring loaded, etc. If there's an even lazier way to do it, I'll find it. Ha! 

Sorry we're getting off topic here, maybe we should start a new one? Could be fun.

If I'm not making sense. Think of a foot activated trash can lid or an old style hamper with a foot lift on it. I have an old metal can I keep for trash in my work area that is made that way. Hands free and helps keep the sparks out of it when working on metal. It's so simple and between the weight of the machines and some spring resistance/pressure, those pins would be secure. In fact if you wanna get fancy. The pin ends could be at an angle so they just click right in. Like the bolt on a door swinging shut. Say, if you had 4 door bolt mechanisms, you could probably pull that off with a little lever action inside the bolts pivot hole and some small cable to the pedal lever blah blah thingie! Gets yuh thinkin doesn't it? Actually that might have a very slight clank or rattle to it (if that would bother you) with the door bolts. But a pin with a tapered end would seat right in there firmly & solid with spring pressure. Each one with it's own tension spring too. (Like a ball point pen)Put a metal washer around the hole so the pressure didn't gradually make the wooden holes bigger over time. See where I'm goin' with this?   Wait a minute,... did you say Brrrrewing Rig?
(02-20-2018, 03:39 AM)SpiderDave Wrote: Man, it just keeps gettin' better and better! Thanks for that. It's got me tinkering in my head now. Why couldn't a guy just use a foot lever action pedal to disengage pins (hands free), flip the table and then release foot pedal? Have it spring loaded, etc. If there's an even lazier way to do it, I'll find it. Ha! 

That's not lazy, to build and implement that design feature would make the build 10x more complicated, just so you don't have to flip a lever.  I think you just like building stuff.

I will try to find a photo of my brew rig up and running and post it.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-17-2018, 11:31 PM)Pondracer Wrote: I run the Grizzly G1071 and used those are in that price range.  Its valuable, I make guitars sometimes and its great for that.  Other things as well, I couldn't live without it now.

Hey Pondracer, are those Grizzly's really all that bad about the spindles getting stuck or difficult to remove? I'm considering this machine and saw a video on that. Seems a tapered spindle would be more stable to me. Worth the occasional stubborn spindle, if there was one. BTW, How is it for noise? 

Here's the video I was watching that made me curious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6nGrTJgz4Q
(02-20-2018, 03:16 PM)photobug Wrote: That's not lazy, to build and implement that design feature would make the build 10x more complicated, just so you don't have to flip a lever.  I think you just like building stuff.

I will try to find a photo of my brew rig up and running and post it.

I know what you mean, you're right I do. I was being playful mostly (kind of), having fun with it the 'what if' talk, especially with the door bolt thing. That was meant more as something to connect to the idea I trying to relay. But, when it comes to design the engineer part of me steps in sometimes. 

For sake of conversation and sharing 'only', not argumental by any means: I don't think my idea would be much more complicated than buying or using 4 drawer slides and going the extra mile that guy did for his flip table to pull outward from the wall. Not without possibility of things going wrong later. Saw dust in bearings and easily 100lbs + of tools extending out from that wheel base, while setting the weight & motion of a wood work piece on top without increased risk of tipping over. Unless he took measures there to avoid the Ikea dresser issue? It just all depends really. Maybe that cart's heavy enough? But not much complicated than a guy could do a foot pedal mech if he designed it simple. At least 2 simple ways come to mind off the bat. 

When I fabricate something for someone that's meant to save small amounts of time here and there, it can take a bit more for the build for sure. Not as much as one might typically think though. Knowing my equipment, I can really move out. If I can save 10 mins throughout a day, I can get a lot done in that time. Especially if times that by a week, a month or a year. Like the kick bar for the foot pedal mechanism. I'd (in short) grab a piece of 1/2" - 3/4" bar stock, put it in the bender for a some 90's, drill holes for the fulcrum point and then weld on a diamond plate foot pedal & be done in 10-15. The tension on the pins could be similar to making a DIY drum sander if you wanted to get fancy like I was talking about before? Slip a spring over the pin with a washer, tac weld the washer in place, and go. Or I have a press that can also put a crimp in, without weakening it, adding weight or using any additional material (like a ball point pen spring on an ink shaft/tube for example) and with no machining or parts that would wear out. A guy could do it without all that. I do enjoy designing and building stuff when I have time. If it takes me an extra hr to build something that'll save a few moments (or minutes) here and there, then I'll (or someone else) get that time back repeatedly. The accumulated time I get back from an investment is as significant of an achievement as it is satisfying,.. indefinitely. When I have time for my shop after my reg 40hr week job. I need every minute I can get, so that's where that thinking comes into play of what I can do make it serve me best. Hope that makes sense? When I saw that guy in the video reach over to twist the star knobs to release the flip table - which I really liked. My first instinctive thought was ouch! How could I do that without leaning over and reaching out (I have a bad back) any more than I 'have' to, or spending time to walk around it etc. I can lean out, I have to all the time, but I also have to reduce it where I can or the next day I'll be in tears and not doing much of anything unfortunately. 

There are a lot of ways to back a truck up to a trailer hitch too, we all got our methods and reasons. A camera monitor in a rear view mirror is a more complicated device compared to a tennis ball on a stick too. Unless you're explaining it to a guy with a neck injury or handicap. I probably should've just said that instead of typing so much . Ha ha!
(02-17-2018, 10:39 PM)photobug Wrote: Rigid makes a oscillating belt and spindle sander.  I bought mine used for about $100, but I think they retail for $200.  It's a fairly light tool and not in the category of what you are looking at if the used price is $400+.  I am not sure what a nicer spindle sander gets you but my lightweight one really comes in handy.  I like that it is portable as I usually take it outside when it is time to do some sanding to save the dust cleaning effort.
I made a couple of brass infill planes with my Ridged...it's a good tool for the money IMO.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have a Porter Cable S-1 that’s up for a restoration in the near future. Got it for $150 at Auction and need to add a vfd. It will replace my dinky (but useful and inexpensive) Ridgid.