Peter

My "day job"
(03-01-2018, 03:24 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: This is a great thread to watch,

Thank you.

My question: Why pine?

Daughter intends to PAINT it...
No    Pine is fine for that
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-01-2018, 05:28 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Daughter intends to PAINT it...

Oh yes!

Makes sense.

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
Lov build-a-longs. Thanks for sharing.
(03-01-2018, 05:28 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Daughter intends to PAINT it...

Actually, I like white pine with multiple 1lb cut coats of orange shellac, and over time the pine ages quite gracefully to an overall nice glow.  When I retire, I'm going to do more things in pine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Added the plywood to the shelves today....

Between not being able to get to a circular saw, cutting panels with a handsaw, and moving the cut parts asideguess what fell to the floor, handle first..
Upset  got out the ugly saw, as this was an ugly day, so far..
Uhoh 

Got the shelf panels cut, and a panel for the case's back.     Cleared the bench, added a piece of the plywood and then stood the case up, onto the bench.....beads of glue laid down onto each frame, as I installed the panels..
Rolleyes 

Little nails, to set the panel into the glue.  Pliers to hold a nail where my fingers can't reach.   Ball pean hammer to act as an anvil...makes it easier to nail out in the middle of an edge.   Cleaned off another "bench"
Rolleyes  

So I could lay the case down....
Winkgrin  

And get things ready to install the back panel, and get this case squared up

Stay tuned, more on the way
Winkgrin
Ok, first off, the "nail hammer" used, was not that 32 oz monster..
No 

I have a "riveting" hammer, that is about the best brad nailer around. 
Ok, laid a bead of glue down to wherever the back will rest on...first, though

Tried to pull this thing square.   I also marked where the frames are, so I can find them after the plywood is on..
A line of screws along one edge, to "fix" things in place.   Added a couple clamps, and re-squared the case...then added one screw on the far side to keep it there.    drew a few center lines to locate the frames...and the added screws everywhere...

Once that was done, I could set the case back onto the floor, and lay out some "corner blocks".. 

These need to have the ends mitered, and then  glued and screwed into the corners.   These  will attach the top to the case, with screws through slotted holes.   Now, IF I can just get TO the mitresaw...laid out most of the parts for the face frame....clamps on the case's front are to pull the dovetailed frames tight.   I can get a better fit to the face frame that way...oh, and there is a teaser, of sorts with the face frame build..

Stay tuned, we might get a bit fancy....
Winkgrin
The morning shop time wasn't working...no focus.
No   Fingers were getting too close to sharp objects....like saw blades. 
Uhoh  Stopped, and closed the shop.
Angry

IF the Brain is not involved in what you are doing in the shop....things can go bad in a hurry...
No ...get back out of the shop.
Yes

Rest of the day, sat and "stewed" about it....
Upset ..finally got the head into working in the shop...focus had returned!
Rolleyes   That, or I am a Stubborn Old Mic
Winkgrin

Stomped back to the shop last night..
Upset ..clear any "extra" stuff off the bench.    Made a jig to act as a Plane-stop..
Rolleyes  

This way, the part will stay put, and be close enough to the edge for the Stanley 45's fence to clear things.   Added a bar to the vise, so I can lock the part in place.   Stiles needed a bead along one edge..

You can also see the bar on the vise.   Once the first bead was done, part was laid down, and the other two beads were made.

Had to keep clearing out the plane..
No  

All that Pine Angel Hair tends to clog things up.....Finally got both stiles milled.  The doubled bead is for the outside corner of the case

Maybe today, IF the brain is in gear to work in the shop, I can reset the plane-stop and work on the shorter rails.  They get  a face bead only.

Plan is to wrap around all the openings  with a bead...beads will meet in a 45 degree joint.
Cool   Yes the case will get painted, and is just Pine...have to try to "dress it up" a little bit.
Rolleyes   Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
They rails were done.   Jig had to be shorten a bit.   One rail had a slight bow in the middle..

Stanley #4 took care of that.  Top rail only gets a single bead..

While the three narrower ones get two beads.  Moved the case around a bit..

Pipe clamps are nice, but a little rough on kneecaps
Rolleyes    had to get to the mitre saw, and swing it around to cut some 45 degree parts...

And made a few corner blocks.     These will be to attach the top of the case with.     Need to make a slotted hole for a screw to  slide around in, while the top changes with the weather.

Stay tuned...part 2 coming up
Winkgrin
All the rails now have their bead work done..
Cool 

Decided to try a mortise, to see how these all will look...

Hmmm...
Confused   Well, I laid out a few more cuts...
Rolleyes 

Then made a few cuts....tenon shoulder tenon at the mitresaw, rest on the bandsaw.
Uhoh 

Then set the stile and top rail against the case, marked out where the rest of the rails SHOULD be.  
Rolleyes
Then started on the rest of the mortises...

Noticed the chisels needed resharpened...
No decided to do that,  and then call it a day....maybe later, I can dig a few mortise holes?
Confused

Stay tuned
Winkgrin