Grizzly G0513X2 Bandsaw
I think I'm about to spring on this bandsaw in a few days. Been saving up for two tools I need. (band saw and a lrg spindle sander) 

It's a Grizzly 17" G0513X2, 2HP. 110/220, 1700-3500rpm and so on. Fits everything I've been looking for. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for this saw? Any other equal saw I should consider? Any complaints on this one or input - positives or negatives? Do's or don'ts? Etc? I have a $100 off coupon, that's good right? About covers shipping.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bands...on/G0513X2

Attached Files Image(s)

I've had only one Grizzly product, a 14" bandsaw I bought new many, many years ago. It was a good one and I sold it when I upgraded to the Rikon 10-340, their first 18" model - bought it for around $950 at the time. It has been a very good saw for me.

Were I in the market now I'd look closely at the very saw you've chosen. Just went through the specs on their web site and it seems to check most of the important blocks, i.e. cast iron trunnions, cast iron fence with aluminum resaw fence, and most importantly to me, cast iron computer balanced wheels. You have to dig into the spec sheet to confirm the wheels are cast iron. The next model up comes with a foot brake, the only upgrade I believe.

I have two Shopfox (a Grizzly company) stationary tools in my shop now, an 8" jointer and a 15" planer - well pleased with them both. Also important, I'd feel good about Grizzly customer service, especially since "Papa Griz", the company founder and CEO is once again roaming these pages now. Obviously your coupon is a bonus and I'd recommend you run it on 220v. Looks like you've picked a winner to me!

Good luck,

Doug
Thats the saw where the coupon code Walker10 works for 10% off.  I havent used the saw; this vid on YT (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4LblDyJwcg&t=575s) shows that the guy likes his (of course grizzly gave him his saw for free so take his review with a grain salt....) Looks like good bandsaw IMHO; be hard pressed to  find a better value.
Dave,  that is the model I have,  IIRC,  there are quite a few of us that bought it.  It does have cast iron wheels.   Upsides are that it is solid saw at a great price.  Rikon makes a similar model, and which one is the better buy depends on the discount you can find at any one time.

While it is a great saw, and i really like mine , there are of course some downsides.  The stock bearings are not sealed all that well, and you will probably find you have to replace them in a couple of years because sawdust gets in and ruins them.  The other slight downside is that the bandsaw blade is a very custom size  131  1/2 inches,  don't expect to be able to find any in stock, you will need to custom order -  that may be true of other larger saws as well.  Not a big issue, but you will want at least one extra blade on hand just in case the one you are using breaks.

While the fence is quite good, one minor quibble is that if you are using the tall fence, the handle is located on the near side of the fence, and if you have your stock on the table, you can't fully release the handle because it has to go about the table.  Years ago someone suggested an easy fix, which is to tap and relocate the handle on another face of the cam, and I did that .

The adjustments to the bearings are pretty easy, though you do need allen wrenches.  

Overall,  very happy with mine.
I had that model a few years ago, it is an excellent saw in all respects except it doesn't have a blade brake. Mine took ~25 seconds to spin down after hitting the stop button. It makes almost zero noise when spinning like that plus wearing ear muffs it's VERY easy to forget it's still turning and get hands too close to the blade clearing off cuts, etc.

I'm setting up a new shop as we speak, there's a GO513X2B sitting down stairs. Not a lot more $ for a bunch of added safety. It takes maybe 3 seconds for the blade to stop.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have this saw. My only complaint is it is not a 514x2
Smile It does everything I need. I would also look at the Rikon 18". I don' t know the price but one of them had some pretty impressive specs.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
That is about the same frame as my grizzly G0636z that has the 5hp motor and it has always done right to me and never a problem.  I am sure you will like yours to.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Ultim...saw/G0636X
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have the original 0513 (aluminum wheels and steel trunion). Works quite well considering. Upgrades have been ball bearing guides (your's comes with those already), Kreg fence, link belt, and--best of all--Lenox Trimaster 1" resaw blade--I swear it cuts like a gem, little sanding and you're all set. Only complaint I have is the table isn't quite perfectly flat at the blade exit slot--Griz replaced the original one no sweat when I first bought it but the replacement still has a bit of a bump there that you can hit when you're shoving wood through. 

It's a solid saw.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
(02-20-2018, 08:23 PM)Johnbro Wrote: --Lenox Trimaster 1" resaw blade--I swear it cuts like a gem, 
John's post reminded me, don't forget to budget some money for blades.  The difference between a good bandsaw and a great bandsaw is that the great bandsaw is easier to set up and use, but either one will give good results with a good blade.  The difference between a bad or dull blade and a good blade, is that it is nearly impossible to get a good cut with a dull or bad blade, no matter how great the bandsaw is.  For my tastes, a  1" saw blade is a little large for my 513,  I find it pretty tough to get it on and off the machine , the blade is too wide for me to easily get it into place, though it may only be me.  I prefer a 1/2 inch, I find it easier to get that on and off.
(02-20-2018, 07:09 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Dave,  that is the model I have,  IIRC,  there are quite a few of us that bought it.  It does have cast iron wheels.   Upsides are that it is solid saw at a great price.  Rikon makes a similar model, and which one is the better buy depends on the discount you can find at any one time.

While it is a great saw, and i really like mine , there are of course some downsides.  The stock bearings are not sealed all that well, and you will probably find you have to replace them in a couple of years because sawdust gets in and ruins them.  The other slight downside is that the bandsaw blade is a very custom size  131  1/2 inches,  don't expect to be able to find any in stock, you will need to custom order -  that may be true of other larger saws as well.  Not a big issue, but you will want at least one extra blade on hand just in case the one you are using breaks.

While the fence is quite good, one minor quibble is that if you are using the tall fence, the handle is located on the near side of the fence, and if you have your stock on the table, you can't fully release the handle because it has to go about the table.  Years ago someone suggested an easy fix, which is to tap and relocate the handle on another face of the cam, and I did that .

The adjustments to the bearings are pretty easy, though you do need allen wrenches.  

Overall,  very happy with mine.

I buy all my bs blades from suffuck machinary, they make them any size, and at a very good price, size should not be an issue.