Some plane shavings
Hello all,

As I work on my Bombe Slant Front Desk I am doing a lot by hand.  Whenever something comes off of a power tool I always cut it over sized and then bring it down to size with my hand tools.

Tonight I was fitting some drawer fronts with a jointer and my homemade small infill.

The difference in shavings are very noticeable.

It is easy to tell how the different angles and mouth openings make a big difference in how a plane works.

Just thought I'd share.
Peter

My "day job"
(02-19-2018, 11:36 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

As I work on my Bombe Slant Front Desk I am doing a lot by hand.  Whenever something comes off of a power tool I always cut it over sized and then bring it down to size with my hand tools.

Tonight I was fitting some drawer fronts with a jointer and my homemade small infill.

The difference in shavings are very noticeable.

It is easy to tell how the different angles and mouth openings make a big difference in how a plane works.

Just thought I'd share.

nice smoother peter, i love infills. did you make the iron too?    jerry
That plane is happy and makes great shavings.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Can't wait to see the current progress on the desk. Love a sharp plane blade on well behaving wood.
(02-20-2018, 06:18 AM)jerry s Wrote: nice smoother peter, i love infills. did you make the iron too?    jerry

No,

That iron (D2 steel) came from a fellow down in Georgia and my other iron (O1 steel) for this plane came from Ron Hock
Peter

My "day job"
(02-20-2018, 10:54 AM)Scoony Wrote: Can't wait to see the current progress on the desk.  Love a sharp plane blade on well behaving wood.

Laugh

Actually the situation was that the wood was not behaving and the blade wasn't that sharp.

The plane geometry is just so good that it is cooperative even with a less-than-sharp blade.
Peter

My "day job"
(02-20-2018, 10:58 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote:
Laugh

Actually the situation was that the wood was not behaving and the blade wasn't that sharp.

The plane geometry is just so good that it is cooperative even with a less-than-sharp blade.

Get one of these discs to put a hair-popping edge on the D-2 blade, Peter...I have three of the 8" in various grits...They are outstanding..even for hand lapping.......no steel too hard for diamond!!!!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Diamond-Gr...amond+disc
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset