This forum needs more life
When I saw that my post on "my new lathe" was read over 700 times I was left wondering where all these turners are??? With the exception of a few repeaters like Arlin, why don't people post more about what they're up to, thinking, plotting, finding wood sources..... and on and on. I just want to point out MY observation that Woodnet Turners Forum is slightly,well, anemic. Let's go people!!!!This could be a great source of information, entertainment, political discourse(OK, not that). How about breathing some life into this group? OK, I've said my piece, what say you Arlin?
All the best, Bill
Well....

I have no experience with your lathe so don't generally comment on things I have little experience with. As to what I'm planning... I have:

blanks for 3 pens that were glued up last night, 2 are resin embedded with brass/aluminum swarf that I cast.
brass and aluminum blanks ready to turn for caps for shock absorber pens
parts to make an 8" slow(er) speed grinder using a CBN wheel that Arlin sent me - the first attempt didn't go so well
10 blanks ready to turn to make 2" sanding backer pads.
a half-done idea for a tea light holder. I'm debating casting some resin into the design, and still thinking about a foot for it. I'm trying to design something I can produce relatively quickly

8 or 9 bowls ready for their second turning that I'll get to some day
4 blanks ready for their green turning
I do agree with what you are saying and I did comment on your new lathe.I have been having some health issues so don't get to the shop as often as I would like.I do have a project I am working on,but it is progressing very slowly.I do read the turning forum,several times a day.Here is one of the last projects I did this past summer for a friend of mine.I hope to be more active soon.

Mel

Attached Files Image(s)

ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(02-20-2018, 11:16 AM)crokett™ Wrote: Well....

I have no experience with your lathe so don't generally comment on things I have little experience with.    As to what I'm planning... I have:

blanks for 3 pens that were glued up last night, 2 are resin embedded with brass/aluminum swarf that I cast.  
brass and aluminum blanks ready to turn for caps for shock absorber pens
parts to make an 8" slow(er) speed grinder using a CBN wheel that Arlin sent me - the first attempt didn't go so well
10 blanks ready to turn to make 2" sanding backer pads.  
a half-done idea for a tea light holder.  I'm debating casting some resin into the design, and still thinking about a foot for it.  I'm trying to design something I can produce relatively quickly

8 or 9 bowls ready for their second turning that I'll get to some day
4 blanks ready for their green turning

This is good, I really wasn't fishing for comments on my new lathe. More chatter like your post here is good though. Don't wait too long returning those bowl blanks though. Not a whole lot is written about how long to wait, but I let a few dry out too much lately and found then unpleasant to turn.
they've already been drying for at least 3 years, I turned them before I packed up my shop to move. Another few months won't matter much at this point.
I agree also Bill I was showing some step by step carving embellishing on a platter a few months ago and some people commented and followed along and a few said they liked how I showed the process but most did not say anything. I would show more of this type thing and other set ups glue ups if people want me to. When I first found this site I thought there would be more of this kind of sharing; I like to see how other people make there projects it gives me ideas. I also like showing how I do things to help others that may not do them the same way. Nice lathe Bill mine is not that good I use a HF Central Machines 33" and a very basic set of PSI chucks and tools.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-20-2018, 03:12 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: I agree also Bill I was showing some step by step carving embellishing on a platter a few months ago and some people commented and followed along and a few said they liked how I showed the process but most did not say anything. I would show more of this type thing and other set ups glue ups if people want me to. When I first found this site I thought there would be more of this kind of sharing; I like to see how other people make there projects it gives me ideas. I also like showing how I do things to help others that may not do them the same way. Nice lathe Bill mine is not that good I use a HF Central Machines 33" and a very basic set of PSI chucks and tools.

Bruce

Cool work Bruce. I've had 5 lathes over the past 45 years but I can't say any of them worked differently than any other. They spin wood. Simple. The revo certainly is more convenient with less vibration and has a few extra bells and whistles. however, it still does what the shopsmith did when I started...spins wood.
Went to the shop today to make a box to store a nativity set.  60 degrees made it comfortable. Decided that I needed some lumber that is out in the barn. Raining. There is the lathe just sitting there. Put in a piece of walnut that I started last fall. Got a bud vase roughed out and half sanded. Going to be pretty grain. Not a bad afternoon with still time for a nap.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I agree with your original statement. It's nearly dead here. I don't know why, maybe it's a guy thing. I've asked questions about things from time to time, but, by the time I would get any help, it's usually days later... if at all. That's really discouraging also.

I was hoping to spark some activity and sharing with the "TTT" thread. It seems that no one, not even one person, can think of any way of contributing some tip or trick in over 5 days now. Sure, 700 views, and not one input.

Perhaps, I am supposed to do searches for some answer about some problem or question... I don't know.
Perhaps, since everyone is using "YouTube" these days, we're supposed to use that.

Oh well.... I don't like it either. I have another hobby and the forum there is the complete opposite. It's the most active thing you would ever see, with software, that blows this "WoodNet" software.... out of the water.
I have felt that way for several years and a half of the older turners that were here are gone and I so miss them.  I like commenting on peoples turnings or questions and even if I have nothing to add I try to tell them to hold on someone will help them.
I wish I could help more and I have not even turned anything except the mallet for the Secret Santa in over 16 months.  Part of it was due to several surgeries very early last year and then for the last 8 months inbetween shops and I have not even done any teaching.  I have let a few people use my stuff whom I trusted that would not ruin anything and that is all.

I also have been trying to work hard at getting the Non Profit started and have sold three things from 2016, but that is going so slow it makes me want to scream. They need better then what I can give them.

Hope I can help more in the future tho.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.