This forum needs more life
Just one turners opinion. Lack of activity may be partially due to some of us doing it so long that we've finally discovered there are no real tricks or hidden secrets. Every turner will develop their own habits and turning style. There's really nothing exciting about learning I grind my gouges 2 degrees different than robohippy. Excluding new tools or gadgets it all boils down to making things round. How a person achieves that is really fairly limited.

As for me and possibly a few others, keeping galleries, customers, or stocked up for craft shows is more important than posting pictures here. I apologize if that sounds arrogant but it is the truth. I reply to threads when I have a different view than some of the posters but I don't have the time to say something other posters have said. As for posting my work most here know I'm a segmenter and have seen my work. There's nothing new or groundbreaking, just trying to keep my head above water and spend as much time in the shop as possible.
Thanks Angus. I'm beginning to think 700 readings is inaccurate.
I've been buying logs from a log yard in Eastern Tenn. The fellow at the yard gives a friend and I a call when he has good logs for turning. Hard Maple, cherry, walnut and the occasional beech. Material is often restricted by where you live. For example, we only have soft maple in my area. Fortenately, my friend has a trailer that can move these rather large logs.
I'm trying to "prime the pump" here
Bill
Bill, I'm in NC but the RTP area. If I lived closer I'd try and arrange getting some of that walnut.
I had kind of gotten out of the habit of checking the forum.

When I was a beginning turner a few years ago, it was an invaluable source of tips, inspiration, and how-to information.

I encourage "lurkers" to ask questions and post their work.

Chuck O
(02-22-2018, 08:28 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: Thanks Angus. I'm beginning to think 700 readings is inaccurate.
I've been buying logs from a log yard in Eastern Tenn. The fellow at the yard gives a friend and I a call when he has good logs for turning. Hard Maple, cherry, walnut and the occasional beech. Material is often restricted by where you live. For example, we only have soft maple in my area. Fortenately, my friend has a trailer that can move these rather large logs.
I'm trying to "prime the pump" here
Bill

lol well I'm blessed when it comes to wood. Eastern Idaho is known for its quality cottonwood and russian olive
Uhoh That's another reason I'm a segmenter. Fortunately I have a pretty good local supplier for domestics. I get exotics from woodcraft or wherever I can find the cheapest price online if shipping isn't prohibitive.
I forgot one more thing that adds to the viewer count is visitors who do not sign in or members also scroll thru a lot of posts and it does count but they can not make comments unless they join so to me that is a huge factor.

One more thing is there are people here that have to go to work everyday and I am not one of them nor can they post all the time if they are a good family man. So all of it is a mixed basket in posting things here.
Now if more people joined and added their comments or questions it would help greatly.

I really, really feel I can learn something from anyone, but they just have to type it up and put it down here. A lot of questions may seem dumb but some of them I learn from and others I sit back and ponder and say (Well what If this or that and what is the outcome or results). Lots of good things come from questions and even answers which provoke thought.

Last my post count does not mean I know it all, it just means I asked A LOT of questions and made some answers from my experience which may not help them at all but points to another way or trying.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I can tell you that all non-Facebook forums activity is down, by that I mean all, Woodturning, RV, HamRadio, doesn't matter what the subject is, activity is down.

Unless it's a Facebook group... Some of them are crazy busy, like this one was a decade ago.

One thing I note on the FB groups, compared to web-forums or newsgroups; it appears the level of stupid (yes I mean stupid) questions is lower.

sigh.

But at the same time, that's where I see more of the "names" today, not on the web-forums (or nearly dead newsgroups)
This is my busy time, maybe more toward summer...
VH07V  
I check this forum all the time and comment when I can. I’m still figuring how to get pictures small enough to upload. I always can share info.
Don
Don

Do you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager?  It comes with all MS office package and if you do not see it go to the bottom of the left side of your computer and hit the start button and type it in there and it should come up.

There all you need to do is hit edit pictures at the top and then go to edit pictures on the right and click on Resizing and pick the 1024x780 and it when you do that save it and then post it here.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.