Cherry burl with bark inclusion
Frank

I like the burl wood really nicely and what you made from it.  The only thing that really stands out or out of place is the thin lip and the very thick body.  Next time leave it all thick or all thin and it really does not matter if turnings are thick if they look nice.

Hope this helps you some for the future and do not take it as belittling of a nice turning.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-20-2018, 01:31 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I just finished turning this last week. I thought the bark inclusion was going to ruin it but I am very pleased with the way it turned out. 

I think it looks very nice the size and shape look good to me it is way different than turning solid wood and needs some special care when turning.
Great job.
Tim
By the way... nice looking cutting board in the background
Cool
(02-21-2018, 08:21 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Frank

I like the burl wood really nicely and what you made from it.  The only thing that really stands out or out of place is the thin lip and the very thick body.  Next time leave it all thick or all thin and it really does not matter if turnings are thick if they look nice.

Hope this helps you some for the future and do not take it as belittling of a nice turning.

I don't take it as belittling at all Arlin. I was planning on going thinner on the walls but decided it would cut into the bark inclusion more than I wanted. Thanks for the comment!
(02-22-2018, 01:59 AM)MidwestMan Wrote: By the way... nice looking cutting board in the background
Cool

Thanks MM! That cutting board is Maple and Purplheart and is a good example of what happens to Purpleheart in the long term. It turned kinda brown on me. Some people say it doesn't turn color but in my experience it does.
(02-22-2018, 12:31 AM)Tim J. Chase Wrote: I think it looks very nice the size and shape look good to me it is way different than turning solid wood and needs some special care when turning.
Great job.
Tim

Thanks Tim! This one stressed me out a little. I took it off the lathe once and decided I needed to take more out of the inside of the bowl and came very close to cutting through the bottom! I also had a piece of the bark inclusion fly out so I decided to stop while I was ahead.
Smile