Shop apron
(02-21-2018, 03:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I know nothing about the material but I much prefer that my shop aprons have a top pocket that is sewn to the main body of the apron at the top only...This is a "carry over" from my old machinist aprons..You can put your scale or micrometer in it and when you have to bend over, they wont fall out..the pocket just "swings down" and the tools stay "put"....Dropping a measuring device is never good but can be death to a good micrometer!!

Great idea, Jack!

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
What I am wearing, nowadays..

Just hanging around, before I get to work
Winkgrin  

Ever hear tell of this brand of aprons?
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(02-21-2018, 03:38 PM)bandit571 Wrote: What I am wearing, nowadays..

Just hanging around, before I get to work
Winkgrin  

Ever hear tell of this brand of aprons?
Confused

Yes
Peter

My "day job"
(02-21-2018, 03:54 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Yes

I bought this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Hudson-Durable-Go...566&sr=1-4

It's waxed canvas, well made, and I bought it because I hate the plastic quick release tabs on other aprons, which break and then the apron is useless; this one has cross straps and ties in the back; plenty of room, I'm a big guy.  I really don't care about the waterproof waxed thing, as it initially is stiff but after a washing it got more flexible.  I'd buy it again.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I like this style of apron where the straps cross and are supported by your shoulders instead of your neck -

[Image: 67k1010v3.jpg]

This one is from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=70774), but that style is available from others as well. If the plastic buckles are a non-starter, the shoulder straps could be sewn directly to the apron and the waist strap could be left long and tied, or left real long and tied in front.

Phil
my mother used to make caving clothing out of cordura.  So I have some cordura coveralls.  I don't find it to be sweaty material, although coveralls can be a bit warm. I have thought about making some aprons out of some of the fabric I got from her.
(02-22-2018, 10:16 PM)EricU Wrote: my mother used to make caving clothing out of cordura.  So I have some cordura coveralls.  I don't find it to be sweaty material, although coveralls can be a bit warm. I have thought about making some aprons out of some of the fabric I got from her.

That's a good idea.

Did that fabric have the polyurethane lining on the inside of the nylon?
Peter

My "day job"
Might as well look good while your working.

[Image: 41vBf0S1YZL._AC_US300_QL65_.jpg]
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I have a denim apron I rarely wear except when using the metal lathe or welding- fire has never been a problem.

I usually wear old shirts and shorts I keep just for the shop and the around the house work.
(02-22-2018, 10:29 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: That's a good idea.

Did that fabric have the polyurethane lining on the inside of the nylon?

the stuff I was thinking about using doesn't have a coating.  I have a roll of fabric that is virtually waterproof that I also was thinking about using.  I figure as long as I'm wearing something underneath, it isn't going to bother me. As design/sew projects go, aprons look fairly easy
(02-21-2018, 06:31 PM)Admiral Wrote: I bought this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Hudson-Durable-Go...566&sr=1-4

It's waxed canvas, well made, and I bought it because I hate the plastic quick release tabs on other aprons, which break and then the apron is useless; this one has cross straps and ties in the back; plenty of room, I'm a big guy.  I really don't care about the waterproof waxed thing, as it initially is stiff but after a washing it got more flexible.  I'd buy it again.
When you washed it you washed out all the wax.  Waterproofing a woodworking apron is a bit silly.  Maybe it makes sense if you are a butcher, or you throw clay pots.

From my experience canvas (cotton) breaks in, Cordura (nylon) breaks down.  They seem to last about the same for me (back packs).  I still have a Finnish back pack (military--probably NATO) surplus that I bought in college in 1968.  It is probably 1950s vintage.  Very soft now but no major holes in it.  I rarely use it anymore, but it has seen some really hard use over the years.  Made from cotton.

Duluth Trading shows 5 different aprons.  I have never bought one from them but all the other items I have gotten from them have been excellent and hard wearing.  They also have mulit-pocket vests that might be of interest.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/search/sea...or=content

I prefer shorty aprons, so this one looks good to me, made from their "fire hose" fabric and $35.00:
[Image: MWON_96723_BRN_FR2_FW17_4795.jpg-210x210]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.