WTB: nice workbench top wood
Replacing my beaten plywood bench surface. Time to spruce it up. Anyone have any interesting wood in 8’ lengths? Material doesn’t have to be perfect. Located in DFW
Thanks
A couple years ago I  had a small local saw mill outside Chicago cut me a relatively green slab of oak that was 5" thick and about 20" wide. The log had been sitting around for a while but hadn't been cut or dried. It wasn't too expensive--less than $100. According to Chris Schwarz, it's perfectly OK to use an undried slab for a bench top. I don't know what's available in your part of the country, but it might be worth checking out sawmills in your area.
I have no idea if the prices are reasonable, including shipping, and I have no affiliation with this link but there's a selection of maple birch and ash tops available here: https://www.globalindustrial.com/g/work-...bench-tops
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
Thanks fellas, all fine ideas. A cursory search in my area has led to me seeing borderline insulting price levels for material. Not long ago, I had to tear down a very old barn for my grandfather. Unfortunately the barn was mostly tin. However, I did salvage some very old (and very hard) cedar posts. I may take these to a mill and see what they say. Not sure about the functionality of cedar in this application, but it’ll be neat working on something tied to my grandad
(02-22-2018, 06:02 PM)Augustus Single Action Wrote: Thanks fellas, all fine ideas.  A cursory search in my area has led to me seeing borderline insulting price levels for material. Not long ago, I had to tear down a very old barn for my grandfather.  Unfortunately the barn was mostly tin.  However, I did salvage some very old (and very hard) cedar posts.  I may take these to a mill and see what they say.  Not sure about the functionality of cedar in this application, but it’ll be neat working on something tied to my grandad

Wood is expensive in and around Dallas, TX.  If you really want to get some good material, plan a trip, and drive out to far east texas.  There are a lot of sawmills out that way, and you can get what you need more affordably.