Help with finishing on fireplace mantle
I originally posted this in the Woodworking section but then remembered that there is a Finishing section on this site.

I'm finishing up a fireplace mantle for my relatives and before I rush into finishing this, I figured I would ask a few questions so I don't do something I'll regret later on.  First question revolves around the top coat.  For the stain, I used an oil based stain (Mohawk).  I really only have experiencing using Minwax water-based polycrylic (sprayed) for the top coat but I'd like to try something different so I'm coming here for suggestions.  What do others use for their top coat over an oil-based stain?  And do you spray it or brush it on?  I've never brushed on a stain but I'm willing to try it out.  Lowes carries a Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer, would something like that work? Or should I go with a shellac?

As for my next question, the mantle is mission-style with some block trim pieces that need to be glued in.  Should I do this gluing before or after I do the top coat?  My initial thought was to do it after the top coats so I could apply and sand it easier between coats but maybe I'm thinking about this wrong (if sanding is actually needed).  

Last question is about the glue for the block pieces.  Is Titebond III ok for this or should I use an epoxy to ensure it stays put?  Here is a picture of what I'm referring to as far as the block pieces is concerned:

https://flic.kr/p/24wd3aS

Thanks for your help with this.
(02-22-2018, 02:58 PM)greatscott Wrote: I originally posted this in the Woodworking section but then remembered that there is a Finishing section on this site.

I'm finishing up a fireplace mantle for my relatives and before I rush into finishing this, I figured I would ask a few questions so I don't do something I'll regret later on.  First question revolves around the top coat.  For the stain, I used an oil based stain (Mohawk).  I really only have experiencing using Minwax water-based polycrylic (sprayed) for the top coat but I'd like to try something different so I'm coming here for suggestions.  What do others use for their top coat over an oil-based stain?  And do you spray it or brush it on?  I've never brushed on a stain but I'm willing to try it out.  Lowes carries a Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer, would something like that work? Or should I go with a shellac?

As for my next question, the mantle is mission-style with some block trim pieces that need to be glued in.  Should I do this gluing before or after I do the top coat?  My initial thought was to do it after the top coats so I could apply and sand it easier between coats but maybe I'm thinking about this wrong (if sanding is actually needed).  

Last question is about the glue for the block pieces.  Is Titebond III ok for this or should I use an epoxy to ensure it stays put?  Here is a picture of what I'm referring to as far as the block pieces is concerned:

Hello - you're 'double posting' - poor net etiquette - you have already received a reply in your duplicate thread - having 2 identical threads will fragment the conversation and be confusing and unfair to posters who may not see others' replies and make the same comments; hopefully, a mod will come along and close and combine your threads in the appropriate forum or you can alter the title and leave a post stating 'Closed' w/ a link to the other thread - just my 2 cents.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(02-22-2018, 02:58 PM)greatscott Wrote: I originally posted this in the Woodworking section but then remembered that there is a Finishing section on this site.

What wood and color stain are you using? What sheen do you want on the finished product? Those items would influence my choice of finish. The picture you posted appears to be bare red oak, so I don't think that's the mantle your speaking about. As for the glue, I wouldn't use epoxy for that. Titebond original or II will work fine. I don't use III for interior work unless it is for a bathroom cabinet or someplace that would see a lot of moisture. I work at a furniture repair and restoration shop, we don't even have Titebond III in the shop. Probably 95% of our repairs and assembly is done with Titebond original. We have re-glued hundreds of chairs and furniture pieces with TB original and we have never had one come back with a failed joint. I'd glue the trim pieces in place before staining. If you have used an oil based stain already, I'd use titebond original on a test piece of scrap and based on the outcome I'd consider putting two 23 ga. pin nails in for a little security. Those little nails have tremendous holding strength.
(02-22-2018, 05:25 PM)giradman Wrote: Hello - you're 'double posting' - poor net etiquette - you have already received a reply in your duplicate thread - having 2 identical threads will fragment the conversation and be confusing and unfair to posters who may not see others' replies and make the same comments; hopefully, a mod will come along and close and combine your threads in the appropriate forum or you can alter the title and leave a post stating 'Closed' w/ a link to the other thread - just my 2 cents.  Dave
Smile

Sorry about that, Dave.  I'll Mark this as 'Closed'.

Link to the other thread:

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7337630