Mallets
Ok now, before you all think I have never made any of my tools, here is my honking beech mallet I made a few years ago for mortising and holdfasts. This beast is too big for DTs, but perfect for making a holdfast hang on for dear life, and it doesn't take much of a swing. I will probably make a smaller version at some point.

Also just made the bench stop out of some QS white oak to replace my old one that was getting worn out.
Dave does make a nice looking mallet.
Ultimately any chunk of wood or metal will work in a pinch. It's just all  about preference and , of course, how long you want it to last. I often use a little Grace brass mallet at my mill for tapping without having to worry about dinging any other metal. Often thought about making a small stainless steel mallet as well, but a guy can only use one at a time. Then again, I do have about 6 of them of different weights. ( Must have gone on a bit of a binge ) searching for the perfect size and weight.
Smile
Smile NO SUCH CRITTER.
A few of my personal. Left to right: 14.2 oz, 16 0z, 16.5 oz, 17.6 oz, 18.4 oz.
[Image: I6jiI0guOzz0MTxiKlL1g2w2723T8gMY6zTiGmLw...24-h546-no]
I don't believe I will be needing any mallets for a while.
Smile
BontzSawWorks.net
The underlying question I asked - but not clearly it seems - is why do you like the style of mallet you use? Have you compared different types of mallets, and come to a conclusion about the design and ergonomics? OK, that could be seen to be two questions!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(02-26-2018, 11:30 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The underlying question I asked - but not clearly it seems - is why do you like the style of mallet you use? Have you compared different types of mallets, and come to a conclusion about the design and ergonomics? OK, that could be seen to be two questions!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

For setting holdfasts and chopping mortises, I prefer a square head mallet. For smaller chisel work, I like rounded mallets. Seems I get a better feel for when the chisel is about to cut through that center section of DT waste. Never really had a problem with glancing blows, but I have had trouble keeping them from rolling of the bench. I have gotten much better at keeping them from rolling.

Maybe its something to do with a rounded mallet having a smaller striking radius?  Not sure as I would have to measure the difference between a round one and square one.

I do have a old iron leather craft hammer that used rawhide plugs. I turned some maple plugs for chair making, but really haven't used that hammer yet. I am going to order some plastic ends from the site Timberwolf posted to see how I like them.
(02-23-2018, 08:26 PM)Admiral Wrote: To each his own, but honestly, why buy any mallet when they are incredibly easy to make.  Even if you don't have dense wood, you can add weight to it.  Maybe its just me.

Hi Admiral,

I didn't have a lathe at the time and I don't like the the square mallets for dovetailing.

Plus, there's no way I could of made it as nice as Dave.
(02-26-2018, 11:30 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The underlying question I asked - but not clearly it seems - is why do you like the style of mallet you use? Have you compared different types of mallets, and come to a conclusion about the design and ergonomics? OK, that could be seen to be two questions!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

I've tried several kinds (lee valley comes to my city every year as part of the woodworking shows) and the round ones work best for me for most chisel work.

I tried the one you have in your picture and I didn't really like it all that much.  My mallet was perfect, out of the box.  It looks like you had to do a lot of modification on yours to get to work best for you.
Many questions on these forums center more on: which specific tool can I get that achieves the most universal use? A related question is the minimal tool chest vs. what scratches your itch? 

I think mallet/hammer preference is related to the level of work, or force, required to do an operation. That is just one prerequisite for selection. Look at how many types and styles of 'hammers' there are in the world. There is no one-style-fits-all beating tool in woodworking. However, the styles we go to have traditional purposes that should still be valid. Derek poses a good question.
4I, I modify a lot
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Ron B sent me a mallet and it is beautiful, and has a very nice heft to it. I have a lathe, but not skilled enough to turn something like this. It is also resin impregnated, which I don't have the ability to do. I love the details in the handle. Here it is along side the Ryan Mallet that is showing lots of wear and tear.

(02-28-2018, 11:12 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: 4I, I modify a lot
Smile  

Regards from Perth

Derek

I love the handle on the gennou.  You did a great job on that.