Show & Tell
That is a Cool project.
(02-25-2018, 09:17 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: That is a Cool project.

Thanks Dusty I hope you follow along, I should be posting some more progress photos this week in between that work thing 
Rolleyes that gets in the way of progress.
Okay everyone I had some time yesterday and got back on this project unfortunately I had a bit of a mishap set back; while increasing the under cut of the base I went to thin and the piece came off and cracked in a few places. No worries though I was able to get it back together we'll see if anybody can see the bad spots/ reglued cracks, as I go on threw w/ this project.

So I had to glue a new base on, this time I't's going to be two pieces thick and a tenon; you'll see the first piece already glued in place in the photos. Also I'm going to show how I glue My rings, I try to keep this process as simple as possible.

I read so many threads where people have a very hard time w/ the angles and how to cut them. I use a 10" Hatichi miter saw w/ a 60 tooth carbide Kolbalt blade:  ($125 saw & blade) 
First thing you need is a lay out board drawn up w/ the biggest circumference your lathe can spin, and circles decreasing 1/4" - 3/8"  at a time to the smallest ring you would need; I'll show mine in the photos. This helps me know how big to cut each segment, I go from the widest point on the segment.  (For Example)   when using 16 pieces at 11 1/4 degrees each side:  1 5/8" segment at the widest point will give me a usable 8 1/4" ring, you can vary the thickness of the segments as your project requires. Here are some photos to help understand what I'm saying.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-28-2018, 11:26 AM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Okay everyone I had some time yesterday and got back on this project unfortunately I had a bit of a mishap set back; while increasing the under cut of the base I went to thin and the piece came off and cracked in a few places. No worries though I was able to get it back together we'll see if anybody can see the bad spots/ reglued cracks, as I go on threw w/ this project.

So I had to glue a new base on, this time I't's going to be two pieces thick and a tenon; you'll see the first piece already glued in place in the photos. Also I'm going to show how I glue My rings, I try to keep this process as simple as possible.

I read so many threads where people have a very hard time w/ the angles and how to cut them. I use a 10" Hatichi miter saw w/ a 60 tooth carbide Kolbalt blade:  ($125 saw & blade) 
First thing you need is a lay out board drawn up w/ the biggest circumference your lathe can spin, and circles decreasing 1/4" - 3/8"  at a time to the smallest ring you would need; I'll show mine in the photos. This helps me know how big to cut each segment, I go from the widest point on the segment.  (For Example)   when using 16 pieces at 11 1/4 degrees each side:  1 5/8" segment at the widest point will give me a usable 8 1/4" ring, you can vary the thickness of the segments as your project requires. Here are some photos to help understand what I'm saying.

Just goes to show that you don't need a 7000.00 lathe to do interesting work. Good job!!!!
(02-28-2018, 11:26 AM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Okay everyone I had some time yesterday and got back on this project unfortunately I had a bit of a mishap set back; while increasing the under cut of the base I went to thin and the piece came off and cracked in a few places. No worries though I was able to get it back together we'll see if anybody can see the bad spots/ reglued cracks, as I go on threw w/ this project.

Thank you for posting such a nicely detailed info post. I hope you plan on detailing how you assembled the vertical "slats" in that workpiece. That would be interesting to me, since I don't know how to do that. I suppose you would have to turn a wand first... right? 
Smirk
Midwestman Your Welcome .....While I make the top section for this project I'll be showing some staves and I may add another open air ring the (vertical slats) I'll show how I do those as well.
Well I got back in the shop today and mounted up the vase w/ my steady rest, I had glued two pieces to the bottom to fix the mis hap. So first I turned those and made a new tenon remounted on the tenon re centered as best I could and trued it all up. Cutting the inside of this project has been a challenge to say the least w/ the grain running North & South I'm cutting cross grain while turning, not a big deal normally but w/ the open air pieces it wants to chip out. Also when cutting you need a light touch when moving from solid wood to the open air bits you get a very aggressive cut if your not careful. I still have to shape the very bottom this will be done after adding the top section I'll start on cleaning up those rings tomorrow and making the staves for the long neck of the vase. Here's a few shots of the days progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello everyone I had a bit of a weather delay w/ the high winds we were loosing power on and off, but I did get in the shop today and clean up those rings I showed being glued up. I also made up another ring for the very top of the vase no photos yet if I have time later I may post a few of where this project is now.

Bruce
Alright everyone here's where this project is now; I have one more segmented section to glue up and it will get split into two rings. Then I have to make up a stave cylinder for the neck of the vase. There a few other rings in the photos I already made ahead of time to speed things along the large Sapele w/ virt stripes will get sliced into two rings, only one will be used on this project; and there's another smaller Sapele ring that may get used as the base. Here's a few photos of the parts before gluing and cutting and also a photo of a vase I'm using as a FORM guide only.
My next post I'll show my procedure for gluing the rings in my press.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay before work today I had a chance to glue up a few parts all pieces are cut 11.25 degrees & sanded to 80 grit before gluing. The staves are 3.5 inches long w/ no taper, the wedge segments will be sliced in half making two rings.

Attached Files Image(s)