Show & Tell
I'm really enjoying this thread, Splinter...
Yes

Cool
Cool

As for clamps, I've got a hose supplier not too far from me that sells long - as in 12" to 36" - hose clamps at a reasonable price. I use those to clamp up my rings on the few occasions where I've done segmented turning and they've worked quite well...
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(03-07-2018, 12:40 PM)Big Dave Wrote: I'm really enjoying this thread, Splinter...
Yes

Cool
Cool

As for clamps, I've got a hose supplier not to far from me that sells long - as in 12" to 36" - hose clamps at a reasonable price. I use those to clamp up my rings on the few occasions where I've done segmented turning and they've worked quite well...
Dave
Thank you Dave I think more people should show how they make there projects, this helps the new folks that just started turning and shows ways of doing things you may not have thought of. Dave those hose clamps I'm using come in many sizes and can be quickly adjusted to any size, I cut the piece to the sizes I use the most between 6" - 12" Rings Here's a link for this product. 
https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Clamp-Stai...p+kit+4000
Okay a little more progress; cleaned up the rings and cut down the wedge ring. I know someone will ask why I didn't use a parting tool to do this, I need to get or make a thin parting tool for one and so I didn't have to change my chuck's jaws I have two but one is still on the main body of the vase. So I cut it part way on the table saw and finished w/ my hand saw for safety. Here are a few photos to show where I'm at now, the neck is still a bit long and the top rim rings will be thinned before gluing. The other thing I've not said is most people draw there projects first then make there rings that's fine if that works for you, I find it better for me to see it in 3-D as I go along so I cam make adjustments as needed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well I was able to get a bit of gluing done today, had to bring the gluing press inside the house these past few days to cold in my shop. So I needed to glue two more rings together and to speed things up I'm stacking them on top of each other w/ wax paper in between. The other trick I do is to CA glue a few bits of wood on the out side edge this helps keep the rings centered. I was hoping the weather was going to warm up a bit but there still talking SNOW here again and temps in the 20's & 30's all week.
Angry 
 Here's where this project is at now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay its been 4 days since I've posted here that work thing keeps getting in the way of my projects. I glued the neck cylinder to the rings I posted the last time and then mounted it on the lathe to true up everything, this is just a rough turning to get everything cylindrical and ready for gluing to the main body of the vase. Next is to glue the top rings to the main body and repeat the same process getting it ready to glue didn't want to take off to much from the necks thickness at this time, so in case once it is glued if there is a variance there will still be enough material to make a correction. The neck will be glued to the main body on the lathe making sure everything is spinning true.  I'm sure a few of you are thinking there's a lot of steps to make this vase and that's true. This project still has a good ways yet to go because I'll be making a base / foot to match the top rim and then I'll be attaching two Hand carved handles to the top of the vase. Here's a few shots of the days progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay everyone I've glued the top rings to the main vase body last night and took the piece out to the lathe and started final shaping the top section. More problems though the temp here is just above 32 degrees and it's 70 in the house so while shaping I heard a crack pop sound and stopped and brought the piece back into the house. I may have to wait until warmer weather to finish this piece 
Upset they are calling for a bit of a warm up at the end of the week. or I may go get some kerosene and see if my little heater can warm up my shop enough to work in.
  Here's what the vase is looking like now.

Attached Files Image(s)

And some more photos of the progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay everyone getting closer to finishing the vase went out to the shop w/ a space heater today
and it made a big difference got the temp up to about 45 - 50 degrees in the shop, snow flurries outside. So the only thing remaining to do is to glue the top to the main body, then comes the handles. The handles for this piece will be carved Seahorses and I've made up my mind to use color dye on this project as well this will be a first for me but I'm not going to dye the whole piece or at least that's my plan to leave some natural wood showing we'll see how it goes. I'll most likely be applying the color w/ a airbrush giving a misty effect, the colors I'm thing about are a darker Blue Teal at the bottom fading to a Aqua towards the top and the sea horses will be a Golden Yellow w/ blue green high lights, this is my plan anyway. So first I had to draw the sea horses and make a template so they both come out as similar as possible, they will be made from Curly Maple. I hoping that the Curly Maple when colored will really POP and give the sea horses a nice effect. There will be quite a bit work going into the seahorses and I'm trying to leave two tabs on each horses to mount them to the vase, this is why the top section has not been glued on it will all be glued at the same time if all goes as planned 
Upset 
I'm not going to use the base on the vase leaving it under cut.
Here's some photos to show what I've done and where I'm going w/ this project.

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Alright everyone I started the seahorse handles today, to make the carving procedure go a bit faster I started w/ my drill press and drilled all the scallops around the body first matching each curve w/ the correct drill bit. This may seem time consuming but is a lot faster than carving each one. After drilling all the holes I went to the band saw and cut out the rest making sure to leave each of the points. Next I'll taper the tail and head sections and sand smooth leaving the center section thicker and tapering to the front and back as well, the back fin & nose will get carved thin during the carving process. After shaping the seahorses smooth I'll redraw all the detail lines and start carving, I'll show more when I get there here's photos of where I'm at now.

Attached Files Image(s)

After sanding the basic shape w/ my disc sander I did a little carving this afternoon, this Curly Maple is nice to carve.

Attached Files Image(s)