Show & Tell
Hello everyone I had some time to get some more carving done on the first seahorse here's where it's at now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well I finished carving the first seahorse and most of the sanding I'll give them both a touch up before dyeing and gluing them to the vase, on to carving the second seahorse. Here's what the first one looks like now beside the second seahorse.

Attached Files Image(s)

Little farther along on the second seahorse it should be about 8 hrs. more to finish and sand both. Then I start the Dying process before I glue the seahorse handles to the vase, I'll show that as I go also this will be a first for me I've never colored wood other than reg. stain. Here's what they looks like now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello every one well I finished carving & sanding the seahorses this evening and started the dyeing process. I started w/ a coat of  Yellow Keda Dye over the whole project. then I mixed a Teal and before applying this I sanded back the yellow w/ 320 grit then dabbed one the Teal w/ a paper towel that was folded only touching the high parts of the project. here's where I'm at now. I have a few days off to work on this project so I should make good head way now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay everyone I've had some time to work on this project and I feel like I'm making head way now. In my last post you saw the seahorses bright Yellow & Green I stayed up last night and played around w/ these dyes to tone them down a bit. First I sanded back the last finish I showed w/ 320 grit and then added more Yellow over the green sanded once again then sand sealed them w/ Deft. This morning I sanded them again and shot them w/ Orange in my Air brush and sand sealed them again. Then I started on the Vase shooting the Teal dye that I mixed on the vase a very light coat was used to let the grain really show threw. I did a fade to the center then use Blue right out of the package on the very bottom and under side of the top fading down the neck. Then I've added one sand sealing coat so far I'm guessing there will be at least three more coats of sealer added before final finish is applied. Have a look and let me know what you think. Oh the Seahorses and the vase neck will all be glued on after I sand seal the in side of the vase.

Attached Files Image(s)

Okay every one I put the final bit of work into this piece today. I started by finding a drill bit close to the size of those dowel pins sticking off of the sea horses then carved them to match by drilling a hole in a scrap piece of wood then removed wood till they fit. The next part was the tricky part drilling into the vase you only get one shot at this so I went slow. I started by shorting the dowel pin to about 3/16' - 1/8" so it was closer to the vase for marking. Then I drilled the holes in the top centered w/ each other and inserted the dowel of the first seahorse  made a mark for the bottom hole and drilled that hole making sure everything was lined up and centered. Then repeated the same steps on the second sea horse. Once everything was drilled and fit centered I glued all the parts w/ Super thin CA. After the glue dried I did some touch ups w/ 800 grit sand paper and my airbrush w/ some blue dye mixed in the sanding sealer. Sorry I didn't take any photos while drilling the vase I was to busy making sure everything was lined up correctly. I'm calling this piece " Neptune's Amphora"  it came out at 16 1/4" tall by 9" diameter and I will be doing a better photo shoot this afternoon and posting those photos as well, but I thought I would show the finished piece here for those that have been following along.

Attached Files Image(s)

" Neptune's Amphora" it came out at 16 1/4" tall by 9" diameter the coloring is wood dye Curly Maple & Sapele

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-28-2018, 11:32 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: Just goes to show that you don't need a 7000.00 lathe to do interesting work. Good job!!!!
I was thinking the same thing !!!!!!!!!
Yes
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-29-2018, 09:08 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I was thinking the same thing !!!!!!!!!
Yes  
Winkgrin

$330 for the lathe todays price think I paid $250 w/ coupon then bought a few chucks, tools etc.
made a custom base/ box  from plywood filled it w/ 500 lbs of sand,
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-...34706.html

I'm still running on the original belt, the only thing I've had to fix was a handle for the banjo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well done. I've been considering using dyes in my work but cant figure out a possible issue that you handled perfectly. How did you keep the dye off the diamonds in the center feature ring? I'm thinking of using dyes to put katchina faces on my work but am worried about the dyes bleeding into each other. Right now I'm doing prototypes using different woods but man is that a lot of work.