Gents Saw- Need Some Coaching Please
Good move, Augustus. You'll love that vintage saw!
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(02-28-2018, 10:53 AM)Augustus Single Action Wrote: Update- purchased a Geo Bishop back saw from forum member Enjuneer.  Looking forward to receiving it.  Saw has a neat history as spending time at a public school, so it seemed fitting to teach me and my boys on.

augustus  i have a couple of bishop hand saws they have very comfortable handles and they stay sharp for a long time. you should be pleased with your new saw.    jerry
Biblio and Jerry- thank you, I’m excited. I dabble in vintage craftsman power tools (40s-late 50s), thus I’m partial to older stuff. However, this tool is approaching 100yrs old! The seller sharpened it so it’ll be ready to go.
(02-26-2018, 05:55 PM)cputnam Wrote: You will find Japanese saws under $70.  However, many or most are filed crosscut which makes them slower than molasses on rip cuts.  They are all induction hardened which means they are NOT heirloom tools  (when dull, you chuck the blade, or make scrapers from it.)  I have a Crown gent's saw which I would happily give to you but I do not want to make a lifetime enemy and ruin three budding woodworkers.

For a Western saw, you cannot beat the Veritas on either price or quality.  Maybe some Japanese saw aficionados will chime in with good value models and brands.  Also check Veritas.

The less expensive Japanese saw teeth are induction hardened.  The handmade ones are not and therefore can be sharpened.  But they are probably not in the OP's affordability range.  There are rip-filed Japanese dovetail saws (dozuki's).  Here's an example.  It's a Gyokucho for only $49.99 from Highland Woodworking.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/gyok...w-372.aspx
[Image: 456468.jpg]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-01-2018, 04:29 PM)AHill Wrote: The less expensive Japanese saw teeth are induction hardened.  The handmade ones are not and therefore can be sharpened.  But they are probably not in the OP's affordability range.  There are rip-filed Japanese dovetail saws (dozuki's).  Here's an example.  It's a Gyokucho for only $49.99 from Highland Woodworking.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/gyok...w-372.aspx
[Image: 456468.jpg]
Hello Allan;

My dozuki is my favorite joint cutting saw.... fine toothed yes... no long rips.... but otherwise great.  Got to be real careful with those induction teeth, they break easy.  Been thinking about saving up for one of the good ones with bigger teeth...
Skip