Need some guidance mind is failing me
I need to make hand holds possibly lots.  I have been doing them by drilling two 1" holes and cutting out the the material between them and sanding smooth.  I need a better way I keep thinking pattern bit with a template but can't picture how to get it done.  I know some if not many of you have the answer I hope to become one of you
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Ck over at the bar
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

if you made a template to use a pattern bit with, you would still have to drill a hole big enough to get the bit into it.  But you didn't really say how thick the material is, you could probably use a router template guide collar in a plunge router to work your way through the material.

do you have a pic of one of the handholds you have made?
Make an oversized template from 1/4” hardboard or plywood and use it with a bushing in a plunge router.

Or make an exact size template, rough it out with jig saw, then finish with a template but.
Bob, here is a box handle jig, same concept.
I would take a jig like this and add stop rails on 2 sides and 1 end, and lay your handle stock down in it, after making a large starter hole for the router bit to enter.

This jig doesn't fit the box correctly since the bottom was added to the box, but you can get the idea here.

And these are the bits I use, and prefer the larger (3/4) bit.

Handheld or table mounted, either method will work.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That's what I needed some days my brain fails me.  Other days I just sleep
Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-25-2018, 01:08 PM)Bob10 Wrote: some days my brain farts. 

Same here
Uhoh
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-25-2018, 12:35 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Bob, here is a box handle jig, same concept.
I would take a jig like this and add stop rails on 2 sides and 1 end, and lay your handle stock down in it, after making a large starter hole for the router bit to enter.

This jig doesn't fit the box correctly since the bottom was added to the box, but you can get the idea here.

And these are the bits I use, and prefer the larger (3/4) bit.

Handheld or table mounted, either method will work.

In my past life I actually used to make something other than saws. :
Smile I have used a template like that many times with both top and bottom bearing pattern bits rather than flush trim bits. My go to bits were always solid carbide spiral shank bits. White side makes some nice ones. They leave a very smooth finish, and guard against tear out. Pricey though, but if you are making a lot of something, well worth it. The top bearing bits make using a plunge router more efficient.
BontzSawWorks.net
Freud makes a Convex Edge bit that can have a bearing added to the shank. The bit can plunge through the material inside the template, then cut the hand hold out, radiusing the edges as it cuts. 

You will need to space the template off the part to align the roundover cut properly, but for doing “a bunch” the time spent would be made up in production.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(03-02-2018, 09:15 PM)handi Wrote: Freud makes a Convex Edge bit that can have a bearing added to the shank. The bit can plunge through the material inside the template, then cut the hand hold out, radiusing the edges as it cuts. 

You will need to space the template off the part to align the roundover cut properly, but for doing “a bunch” the time spent would be made up in production.

Thank you.  I hadn't seen that bit and it would make things faster for sure

Phil Thien