Hole Saws - What are the best ones?
(03-01-2018, 03:11 AM)photobug Wrote: I question the listing of Auger bit as second in the list.  Maybe because I used it as a way to drill 2x4s for running wires during construction.  I bought one once and use it to it, well forever.  Once again a tool for construction use only.

Are you saying a new auger bit would be a more precise tool than my forever auger bit?

I don't believe I would put the term precise to an auger bit.  However, the OP stated that he was already trying to use a hole saw, and I don't put the term precise on those either.  The hole saw is a construction tool for thin materials or very large diameters.  

I was more implying that the auger bit would make the hole with less grief than the hole saw.  

Would a 1" Forstener bit be the best choice?  Probably.  However, most everyone here has encountered situations where the best tool wasn't readily at hand or wasn't economic to obtain.  We've all made do.  Will the hole saw cut the hole?  Sure, but it's a compromise due to the chip loading and extraction.  Would the auger bit cut the hole?  Sure, but who knows how the entry or exit surface would look afterwards.  We all do the best with what we've got.  

I've also would like to state there are different auger bits.  Usually it's thin flute and thick flute.  The thin flutes will get the chips out, but the thicker flutes will usually leave a better hole.

Thin flute
[Image: speedbor-max-4-speed-bits-1630.jpg]

Thick flute
[Image: power-drill-i-100-auger-bits-433.jpg]
Today my Bosch Hole Saw Kit arrived - love the 'pop-off' saw bits - did a trial 1 3/4" saw hole - popped the saw which came off easily, however, the plug remained in the saw portion, so I still had to use a screw driver to remove the wood - was a lot easier than w/ my Blu-mol kit, and am pleased - maybe I'm missing a something?  Any comments - Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
(03-02-2018, 12:35 AM)giradman Wrote: Today my Bosch Hole Saw Kit arrived - love the 'pop-off' saw bits - did a trial 1 3/4" saw hole - popped the saw which came off easily, however, the plug remained in the saw portion, so I still had to use a screw driver to remove the wood - was a lot easier than w/ my Blu-mol kit, and am pleased - maybe I'm missing a something?  Any comments - Dave
Smile

Read comment #41.
(03-01-2018, 01:22 PM)DieselDennis Wrote:  Would the auger bit cut the hole?  Sure, but who knows how the entry or exit surface would look afterwards.  We all do the best with what we've got.  

I've also would like to state there are different auger bits.  Usually it's thin flute and thick flute.  The thin flutes will get the chips out, but the thicker flutes will usually leave a better hole.

Thin flute
[Image: speedbor-max-4-speed-bits-1630.jpg]

Thick flute
[Image: power-drill-i-100-auger-bits-433.jpg]
Thanks for that info.  As said i have only had an auger bit or two over the life and it never gets sharpened.  I did pick up a set of Bosch Spade Bits as an impulse buy years ago and did not use them till recently.  I used it in drilling holes for wiring a remodel project.  Keeping in mind it was a construction grade hole and I did not care on how clean it looked and don't even know, but these spade bits chewed out a hole so quickly it opened my eyes to my new favorite bit.  It literally felt like the blade was pulling its way through the wood. 

(03-02-2018, 12:49 AM)daddo Wrote:  Read comment #41.

I only see 30 something posts on this thread.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-25-2018, 07:37 PM)giradman Wrote: Last few days, I've been making a small mobile stand for clamps - needed to drill saw holes for large dowels (1+ inches) - so I used my Blu-mol kit (2 sizes - first pic below) - this is my third set of hole saws over decades and am always frustrated, i.e. wood burns, tearout, & impossible to remove the wood plug w/o prying w/ a screwdriver! 
No

There must be 'hole saw kits' that do a decent job w/o the objections above - any suggestions?  I saw this Sypder kit on Amazon (2nd pic) that states there is a 'release button' which I'd love to use - BUT, any comments, purchase suggestions, etc.  Thanks - Dave

Slotted Bi-metal....

https://www.amazon.com/LENOX-Tools-Bi-Me...B001D1GXHO
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-02-2018, 08:25 AM)photobug Wrote: Thanks for that info.  As said i have only had an auger bit or two over the life and it never gets sharpened.  I did pick up a set of Bosch Spade Bits as an impulse buy years ago and did not use them till recently.  I used it in drilling holes for wiring a remodel project.  Keeping in mind it was a construction grade hole and I did not care on how clean it looked and don't even know, but these spade bits chewed out a hole so quickly it opened my eyes to my new favorite bit.  It literally felt like the blade was pulling its way through the wood. 

I have 2 sets of the Bosch spade bits, with the screw start on the end. Those are my go-to spade bits.
Awesome......
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-02-2018, 12:35 AM)giradman Wrote: Today my Bosch Hole Saw Kit arrived - love the 'pop-off' saw bits - did a trial 1 3/4" saw hole - popped the saw which came off easily, however, the plug remained in the saw portion, so I still had to use a screw driver to remove the wood - was a lot easier than w/ my Blu-mol kit, and am pleased - maybe I'm missing a something?  Any comments - Dave
Smile

Cool
Cool

As most hole saws, the plug still needs to be pushed out. But it's easier as you have that bigger hole on top after you pop the mandrel off.
Winkgrin  And with Bosch brand, I think there seems to be more clearance up inside. Not sure what as I've never measured, but they are easier than this other set I have
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've found that whenever possible, it works well to use the hole saw to about 3/4 of the depth (or at least until the pilot drill protrudes from the opposite side) and then come at the hole from the opposite side. The resulting "plug" protrudes from the saw to facilitate grabbing it with channel locks or such. This also reduces tear out. Of course, this means you must have access to both sides of what you are hole sawing!

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less!
Gene
Gene

"Gettin' Old Ain't For Sissies"