Edge banding
I am going to build a Murphy bed. I plan to use some MDF laid over the plywood face - the underside of the bed frame that is exposed when the bed is closed up against the wall - to create false craftsman style cabinet faces. With the plan I am using, it doesn ot account for anything but a flat boring face. If I do this, I will also need to bring out the sides of the carcass by the same amount as the offset created by the MDF. The entire Murphy bed will be painted (per SHMBO). I was thinking of using the same thickness MDF to edge band the plywood on the carcass. I don't recall ever seeing anyone use MDF as plywood edge banding. Is there a good reason not to do this? 

Thank you for any advice.
First pants, then shoes.
Might not have as good as a finish or not be as damage resistant to solid wood?
(02-25-2018, 07:51 PM)waterboy Wrote: I am going to build a Murphy bed. I plan to use some MDF laid over the plywood face - the underside of the bed frame that is exposed when the bed is closed up against the wall - to create false craftsman style cabinet faces. With the plan I am using, it doesn ot account for anything but a flat boring face. If I do this, I will also need to bring out the sides of the carcass by the same amount as the offset created by the MDF. The entire Murphy bed will be painted (per SHMBO). I was thinking of using the same thickness MDF to edge band the plywood on the carcass. I don't recall ever seeing anyone use MDF as plywood edge banding. Is there a good reason not to do this? 

Thank you for any advice.

Try a sample as follows:

Rub in (like shoe polish) acrylic based spackle into the edges until all the voids are filled and a smooth layer of spackle is on the surface. Sand smooth.  Use a shellac based primer so as not to raise the grain and then paint.  If this is done well, the edge will simply look like painted lumber. 

If you are satisfied with the look (and it should look perfect if done as described) then there is no glue-ups.   You can use joint compound in place of the spackle, but it takes a full day to dry.  The acrylic based spackle is a dream to work with.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-25-2018, 10:27 PM)appletonrc Wrote: Might not have as good as a finish or not be as damage resistant to solid wood?

I agree.  I think a spackled sanded and finished plywood edge would actually be more durable than MDF.  Based on all the tables being made of MDF like Festools, maybe MDF is more hardy than I remember, but it seems to me the edges of MDF are the most vulnerable.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(02-26-2018, 09:55 AM)photobug Wrote: I agree.  I think a spackled sanded and finished plywood edge would actually be more durable than MDF.  Based on all the tables being made of MDF like Festools, maybe MDF is more hardy than I remember, but it seems to me the edges of MDF are the most vulnerable.

Yes, which is why the 4' x 8' MDF board measures 49" x 97".

Plus, the MDF band will have to be filled and sanded and sealed with a shellac based primer or it will raise a very nasty looking "grain".  So he will have to do the same operation on the band as he would on the cut edges of the plywood.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-26-2018, 10:33 AM)Cooler Wrote: Yes, which is why the 4' x 8' MDF board measures 49" x 97".

Mmmmm. It's 49x97 so you can get 4 full 12" rips out of that sheet. Or other dimensions.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I used pine to edge band this one.  MDF would have worked but would not have finished like the pine plywood bed frame.

Attached Files Image(s)