Combining Hobbies

This is my entry into the 2018 IAP Bash Advanced Casting Pen Contest. I decided to combine 2 of my favorite hobbies in a way, scroll sawing and pen making. This is a chrome Sierra Vista kit with a cast blank of scroll saw blades on a tube covered with a woodgrain vinyl. It was cast with Liquid Diamonds epoxy resin. It was turned and polished to a high shine. Thanks for looking and hope you like it.
John T.
That is very cool!
I am sure you should get high points in the competition.That is a very imaginative and beautiful piece of work.Good luck.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
John

I like it.  I could not tell in the first picture but it really stands out on the second one.  To bad that you could not have scroll sawn something and put the blades on top which would make it so cool.  Love the red contrast to.
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-26-2018, 04:55 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: That is very cool!

+1
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

wow that is a very cool pen. I have a similar idea that I'm still thinking about. How did you do the spacing of the saw blades around the tube?
(02-26-2018, 05:37 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: John

I like it.  I could not tell in the first picture but it really stands out on the second one.  To bad that you could not have scroll sawn something and put the blades on top which would make it so cool.  Love the red contrast to.
Yes
Yes
Arlin I tried a couple things but with pens you are limited on the space between the tube and the fittings of the kit. I used the largest just to get these on. That is why I could only use wood grained vinyl. May have a few more ideas up my sleeve using scrollsaw blades.

(02-26-2018, 08:45 PM)crokett™ Wrote: wow that is a very cool pen.  I have a similar idea that I'm still thinking about.  How did you do the spacing of the saw blades around the tube?

Thanks for the kind words. A far as spacing goes I thinned a piece of wood to what I thought would look nice for spacing. I placed that between each blade and glued them on and moved to the next one. At first I was trying to place them side by side with no spacing but you could not make out the teeth on the blades. I used the largest blade #12 that I had. When I got to the last 3 I made sure the spacing still worked out and if I need to cheat a little I could do so on 3 and you would never see it. Just so happened to work out almost dead on. Band saw blades are in the future also. In pen making nothing is safe. If you can wrap around a tube you can cast it.
John T.
(02-26-2018, 10:47 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Arlin I tried a couple things but with pens you are limited on the space between the tube and the fittings of the kit. I used the largest just to get these on. That is why I could only use wood grained vinyl. May have a few more ideas up my sleeve using scrollsaw blades.

Thanks for the kind words. A far as spacing goes I thinned a piece of wood to what I thought would look nice for spacing. I placed that between each blade and glued them on and moved to the next one. At first I was trying to place them side by side with no spacing but you could not make out the teeth on the blades. I used the largest blade #12 that I had. When I got to the last 3 I made sure the spacing still worked out and if I need to cheat a little I could do so on 3 and you would never see it. Just so happened to work out almost dead on. Band saw blades are in the future also. In pen making nothing is safe. If you can wrap around a tube you can cast it.

And that is the cool things on making pens or turning in general. 
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.