Pepper mill advice
I haven't done much woodworking or turning over the past few years due to illness.  I am feeling better now and would like to turn a pepper mill and salt mill for one of my daughters.  To that end I bought 8' kits and some really nice figured walnut and maple.  The walnut was imported from Turkey and is 2" square.  I know this will be a bit thin, but it was the largest piece that I could get. I will have to be careful when turning it round, not to loose much of the diameter.

Anyway, to my question:  How long should the top and bottom be for 8" kits?

TIA, Joe
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
It depends on your design. For mine, I start with a min. of 10" blank, make the bottom 6" and the top 2" + 1/4" tenon that fits into the bottom.

Good luck.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
It also depends on your kit. The kit usually comes with exact instructions. Which kit did ya get? 2 inches is really too small. Good luck with that one
(02-26-2018, 12:57 PM)Wipedout Wrote: It also depends on your kit. The kit usually comes with exact instructions. Which kit did ya get?  2 inches is really too small. Good luck with that one

I bought it from Chefwarekits.  It came with no instructions. E-mails to the seller have not been answered.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
Here ya go:

http://www.chefwarekits.com/woodturning-...ctions.pdf
a 2" square blank isn't going to give you much margin for error when the bottom of the kit is 1 1/5/8" wide. You'll have 3/8" left over, or 3/16" around the bottom of the mill. that's going to require near perfect centering so that you aren't taking more off than you have to to make it round. . Can you glue contrasting wood segments to the bottom 2" or so of what you have? It's only one end that has to be that wide.
(02-26-2018, 03:21 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Here ya go:

http://www.chefwarekits.com/woodturning-...ctions.pdf

Thanks!!!!
Yes
Yes
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
(02-26-2018, 08:21 AM)joemac Wrote: I haven't done much woodworking or turning over the past few years due to illness.  I am feeling better now and would like to turn a pepper mill and salt mill for one of my daughters.  To that end I bought 8' kits and some really nice figured walnut and maple.  The walnut was imported from Turkey and is 2" square.  I know this will be a bit thin, but it was the largest piece that I could get. I will have to be careful when turning it round, not to loose much of the diameter.

Anyway, to my question:  How long should the top and bottom be for 8" kits?

TIA, Joe

Joe
If you felt it was small you could add a 1/4" to the outside on all 4 sides at the bottom maybe half way up . most would be turned away leaving you figured wood that would give you 2-1/2" at the widest
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(02-28-2018, 11:05 AM)to be well-centerdWoodshop Wrote: Joe
If you felt it was small you could add a 1/4" to the outside on all 4 sides at the bottom maybe half way up . most would be turned away leaving you figured wood that would give you 2-1/2" at the widest

+1

I have seen this done very effectively with contrasting wood. The down side is that you need to be careful to be well-centered. Like any four-cornered turning, being off-center shows up quickly.

An extra plus of adding the wood is that you can add the pieces quarter-sawn out of wood with good fleck or chatoyance on all 4 sides.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(02-26-2018, 04:20 PM)crokett™ Wrote: a 2" square blank isn't going to give you much margin for error when the bottom of the kit is 1 1/5/8" wide.  You'll have 3/8" left over, or 3/16" around the bottom of the mill.  that's going to require near perfect centering so that you aren't taking more off than you have to to make it round.  .  Can you glue contrasting wood segments to the bottom 2" or so of what you have?  It's only one end that has to be that wide.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and leave this special walnut for another project and go get the right size turning blanks.  I sure don't want to spend a lot of time and ruin beautiful wood trying to do something that has little room for error.  I need LOTS of error and wiggle room in my projects.
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill