Lee Valley inset vise: dog hole spacing and placement
With the help of the advice here, I did go ahead and get the Veritas inset vise:
[Image: 05g3101s12b_01.jpg]

and am now interested in recommendations on the dog hole spacing.  In my existing setup - a Record vise, and holes for LV dogs - I occasionally run into situations in which the piece of stock isn't quite the right length for either the vise fully open and the dog in one hole, or closed more and the dog in the next hole.  I'd like to avoid that situation.

The existing run of dog holes are about 4" from the edge of the bench, and this has not always been best: I've sometimes needed them closer to the edge.  Are there disadvantages having the holes, say, 2" from the edge of the bench?
(02-26-2018, 10:03 AM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: With the help of the advice here, I did go ahead and get the Veritas inset vise:
[Image: 05g3101s12b_01.jpg]

and am now interested in recommendations on the dog hole spacing.  In my existing setup - a Record vise, and holes for LV dogs - I occasionally run into situations in which the piece of stock isn't quite the right length for either the vise fully open and the dog in one hole, or closed more and the dog in the next hole.  I'd like to avoid that situation.

The existing run of dog holes are about 4" from the edge of the bench, and this has not always been best: I've sometimes needed them closer to the edge.  Are there disadvantages having the holes, say, 2" from the edge of the bench?

You want those bad boys as close to the edge as you dare.  I believe mine are ~2inches. And there have been times I needed them even closer.  So I have to go to the clamp in a vise trick.

As for the spacing, the inset vise does not have a huge range of travel, so I would measure the travel, and just have the dog holes equal less than that.  It will end up being a lot of holes, but that's kind of the point.
(02-26-2018, 10:39 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: You want those bad boys as close to the edge as you dare.  I believe mine are ~2inches. And there have been times I needed them even closer.  So I have to go to the clamp in a vise trick.

As for the spacing, the inset vise does not have a huge range of travel, so I would measure the travel, and just have the dog holes equal less than that.  It will end up being a lot of holes, but that's kind of the point.

Agreed.

If you don't care how the spacing looks, you could drill them as you need them. After a short time you will have what you need without worrying about it.
I did not do that, and have a bunch of holes I don't use.
Think about what you typically do.
You can plug unwanted holes too.

I guess if you consider your bench as a piece of furniture not to be imperfect ever, then the above won't work for you.
But if you think of your bench as a tool, then just do as you please.
Thanks.

I have the same attitude toward my bench that I have toward my pickup truck: it's a working device, and pretty's not part of it.

I'd kind of figured the same approach as Strokes suggests; glad to get the confirmation.
I'm not at home so I can't check it, but I think the distance between the dog holes for my inset vise is 7", a bit less than the total distance traveled by the vise with the "jaw" set in the forward position with the vise all the way forward or rear position with it cranked all the way back.  The picture posted above gives a good suggestion for the set back from the edge.  Lee Valley says the dog holes need to be a minimum of 1-1/2" in from the edge in their instructions for the vise, but that's with the vise mounted right to the edge of the bench.  I think my vise is set 3/4" in from the edge so guessing again the center of the dog holes are probably in 2-1/4".

Phil
Thanks, Phil.  I'll probably go nuts and use a more frequent spacing.

Some other projects today, when it's not raining; but we're supposed to have heavy rain for the next few days, so I may get some shop time.
I milled a piece of maple 2" x 6" and installed the inset vise in one end, drilled dog holes every 6 inches in the board. To plane I place this on the edge of my bench holding it by a cleat in my front vise. Don't want a row of dog holes along the front of my bench. No pictures as I am moving shop now.
Bill-

I got home last night and went downstairs this afternoon and looked at my set-up.  I amazed myself and found out that indeed, the holes are 7" apart, 2-1/4" on center from the edge.  Maybe I haven't lost as many marbles as I had thought.
Laugh

Phil
Bill,  Two bits on filling that gap...

I have that inset vise and save myself the cranking by using my trusty sanding block as a gap filler.  It's just a oak block about 3/4" x 2" x 4".  I slip it between the jaws and the work piece, or the dog and the work piece.  It seems to get used far more often then not. 

Another piece to figure in is the pad that you add to the moving "jaw".  My language is not precise here.  I refer to the wood bit that get attached to the included part with the two pins that is proud of the benchtop.  You want to add a piece of wood there.  I use a 1/2" x 1/2" by 3" piece.  It works well.  You can do this in a variety of ways and may even use more than one (I don't).  

Finally, I find it important to have a place for things lie that "jaw".  I drilled two holes on the side of the bench, next to the vise handle.  The two pins slide in tightly enough that it stays put, out of the way, but close to hand.

It's not a full sized vise, but it does it's limited job really well.
Yup. I drilled some holes on the side of the
nearby leg of the bench for the inset vise jaw 
and while I was at it, put in some for the 3/4"
brass dogs I use as well. Every tool should have
a home where you know it will be. Makes it much
easier to keep em easy to hand.

Smile
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me