Fun with oval turning
I recently started using my oval chuck to try some hollow forms.
This one is fairly small 3 inches tall and 3 x 4 wide

Wood is cherry (from the firewood) the small holes are an included branch that fell out

Attached Files Image(s)

Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
(03-01-2018, 12:43 PM)n7bsn Wrote: I recently started using my oval chuck to try some hollow forms.
This one is fairly small 3 inches tall and 3 x 4 wide

Wood is cherry (from the firewood) the small holes are an included branch that fell out

Very cool I like it, do you have any photos of it on the lathe?
I like it plus put a mouth and two ears on it and you have a head. 
Yes
Yes

Also how did you hollow it out or were you able to do the whole thing?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-01-2018, 03:23 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I like it plus put a mouth and two ears on it and you have a head. 
Yes
Yes

I saw that too.

[Image: k57MN8f.jpg]
It looks very surprised!
Smile
(03-01-2018, 01:48 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Very cool I like it, do you have any photos of it on the lathe?

Nope, but I used the Vicmarc VOD set for r=5 with one weight.

I tried a similar one with r=25 and oval was too narrow on the short side and I was force to hollow through an effective hole about 1/2 inch in diameter.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Is that the VOD?
I’ve had one for several years and I pretty much had to forget everything I knew about turning to use that thing. I made some interesting bowls with it tho’.
VH07V  
This may be helpful :  https://vicmarc.com/files/VOD--Aug-10.pdf