Glass shelf to hold a microwave ?
I'd like to use a glass shelf to hold an approximately 20"wide x 12"deep x 12" tall microwave above my kitchen counter top. How thick should the glass be to support the microwave? Also, can you recommend brackets that would hold the 12"x 24" piece of glass on which the microwave would sit? Thanks.
(03-01-2018, 01:58 PM)JSpill Wrote: I'd like to use a glass shelf to hold an approximately 20"wide x 12"deep x 12" tall microwave above my kitchen counter top. How thick should the glass be to support the microwave? Also, can you recommend brackets that would hold the 12"x 24" piece of glass on which the microwave would sit? Thanks.

Maybe this CALCULATOR will help.   Remember to add weight for items in the microwave plus a big safety margin.   A glass company may be of help on the brackets as appearance is a major concern I am sure.   Roly
If you place the brackets at or near the feet of the microwave, then essentially any piece of glass made for shelving will do. The glass should be tempered for safety. 1/4" should be sufficient.

The calculator above says that even with a 24" span, a 3/16" shelf will hold 80 lbs. Seems sufficient to me.

No recommendation for brackets. Just don't use a bracket for a cantilever shelf.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(03-01-2018, 01:58 PM)JSpill Wrote: I'd like to use a glass shelf to hold an approximately 20"wide x 12"deep x 12" tall microwave above my kitchen counter top. How thick should the glass be to support the microwave? Also, can you recommend brackets that would hold the 12"x 24" piece of glass on which the microwave would sit? Thanks.

As you'll see from this calculator tempered glass can support a lot more weight than annealed.  

John
Two other options:

1.  Some counter top microwaves allow wall mounting.  You will have to search to see if you can find one that suits your purpose.  I have not seen one lately so they may be hard to find.

2.  No shelf at all.  There are "universal" brackets for microwaves.  (I used one in my old apartment and the microwave was an 1990 era version and heavy.  The brackets are almost completely hidden.  Available in black or white.
See:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/AVF-Universa.../205614237

[Image: avf-microwave-parts-em60b-a-64_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
What did you decide to do?
Why????? 

You're only going to see the edge......
(03-15-2018, 08:39 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Why????? 

You're only going to see the edge......

Plus you would have to clean the glass periodically.  That is why I suggested the brackets.  They are almost completely hidden (and cheap).