Changing treads on prefab particle board stairs??
(03-02-2018, 10:37 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: So the standard thickness will be 3/4, but the top two steps may be 5/8?

Cut a thin strip off the step, then plane the step down 1/8", then glue the full-thickness strip back on, now you won't be able to see a difference. 

You should also bang-out on of these in your shop:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?...read+gauge

standard thickness of the new treads? 1"

"Cut a thin strip off the step, then plane the step down 1/8", then glue the full-thickness strip back on, now you won't be able to see a difference. "

the treads are already bullnosed. I'll probably use a dado as opposed to a planer and leave the nosing as it is.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Don't forget to put something between the old and new tread to prevent squeaking.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Will you be able to get under the stairs or will you fasten from above?
In the past i have cut the nose off the old tread, fit and fastened the new tread on top. Then put 1/4" ply on the riser .  I think the rule of thumb in 1/4" deviation in rise max from step to step, but you really don't want every step to have a different rise.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
U:\Progress\Dana\POLICY\Stair Treads\International
Building Code Stair treads and risers.doc
06/23/2014
International Building Code for Stair treads and riser
s
1009.3 Stair treads and risers.
Stair riser heights shall be 7 inches (178 mm) maxi
mum and 4 inches (102
mm) minimum. Stair tread depths shall be 11 inches
(279 mm) minimum. The riser height shall be
measured vertically between the leading edges of adjacent treads. The tread depth shall be measured
horizontally between the vertical planes of the foremost projection of adjacent treads and at a right
angle to
the tread’s leading edge. Winder treads shall have
a minimum tread depth of 11 inches (279 mm) measured
at a right angle to the tread’s leading edge at a point 12 inches (305 mm) from the side where the treads are
narrower and a minimum tread depth of 10 inches (25
4 mm).
Exceptions:
Alternating tread devices in accordance with Sectio
n 1009.9.
Spiral stairways in accordance with Section 1009.8.
Aisle stairs in assembly seating areas where the st
air pitch or slope is set, for sightline reasons, by the slope of the adjacent seating area
in accordance with Section 1025.11.2.
In Group R-3 occupancies; within dwelling units in
Group R-2 occupancies; and in Group U
occupancies that are accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy or accessory to individual dwelling
units in Group R-2 occupancies; the maximum riser h
eight shall be 7.75 inches (197 mm);
the minimum tread depth shall be 10 inches (254 mm)
; the minimum winder tread depth at
the walk line shall be 10 inches (254 mm); and the
minimum winder depth shall be 6 inches
(152 mm). A nosing not less than 0.75 inch (19.1 m
m) but not more than 1.25 inches (32
mm) shall be provided on stairways with solid riser
s where the tread depth is less than 11
inches (279 mm).
See the Section 3403.4 for the replacement of existing stairways.
Thats commercial code. There is a residential code which allows 7 3/4 rise, am other things.  His is grandfathered at 8.  Had to go measure my stairs...8 1/4" rise per tread.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Mine are 8". built in 1990. They'll still be 8". Only way around it is to move the front wall of the house towards the street a bout a foot or cut out the beam holding up the second floor. Pretty sure a code inspector would be ok with this configuration.

Thank's Phil for the link. Made one...

[Image: re3sZbt.jpg]

[Image: dx8YpO1.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Reading concerns about 1/4" complaints sure makes me glad to live in a "free" city where there is zoning but not building code for single family residential! (for the most part...only inspect plumbing at construction and water heater installs for renovations). I can make my steps however is best. And, shockingly, people aren't dying because of it!
People have studied fall risks from stairs, and unequal tread spacing is a big risk for falls.  I would prefer some amount of government interference to falling down my steps.

I do wish I could put taller windows in my basement without a building permit though.  I have a friend that lives in a city an hour from here, and he says nobody gets building permits and if they catch you, you just have to pay the fee.
(03-02-2018, 10:24 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I think I've got a solution.

Yes, or rip it all out.

Looks like you have it figured out.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020