Spiral Cutter Head
I "think" I am interested in a spiral cutter head for my new DW735.

Just curious, are the Byrd Shelix and the Grizzly the only options.  I have nothing against either company but was surprised to find only two options.  Maybe my search has been inadequate.

Byrd has great reviews and there are several install videos; plus it is much less than the Grizzly.

Okay, I'm eager to hear from the WN community brain trust.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(03-03-2018, 10:30 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I "think" I am interested in a spiral cutter head for my new DW735.

Just curious, are the Byrd Shelix and the Grizzly the only options.  I have nothing against either company but was surprised to find only two options.  Maybe my search has been inadequate.

Byrd has great reviews and there are several install videos; plus it is much less than the Grizzly.

Okay, I'm eager to hear from the WN community brain trust.

Contact Brian at Holbren - he's a member here and carries the Bryd heads. Gives a small discount to WN members. I bought one from him for my 8" jointer and couldn't be more pleased - good guy to deal with!

Doug
Brian at Holbren has what you need.
I believe they are slightly different in as far as their respective cutting action.

If you look closely at the individual cutters on the Grizzly spiral cutter head (that is the cutting edges) they are parallel to the cutter head – and cut at a right angle to the direction of the material feeding thru the planer. The individual cutters on the Bryd (or Shelix) spiral cutter head are at slight angle to the cutter head – basically they are parallel to the spiral groove that holds them and therefore have more of a shearing action when materiel is feed thru the planer.

I have the Byrd installed on my Grizzly 15” planner and it cuts very smoothly (and as important relatively quietly!). I have read the non-shearing style cutter heads (like the Grizz) can leave a slight “rippling effect” in the materiel (which I understand can be easily removed during final sanding). In either case, I think would will happy with either.

Just my $.02
(03-03-2018, 04:33 PM)Don_M Wrote: I believe they are slightly different in as far as their respective cutting action.

If you look closely at the individual cutters on the Grizzly spiral cutter head (that is the cutting edges) they are parallel to the cutter head – and cut at a right angle to the direction of the material feeding thru the planer. The individual cutters on the Bryd (or Shelix) spiral cutter head are at slight angle to the cutter head – basically they are parallel to the spiral groove that holds them and therefore have more of a shearing action when materiel is feed thru the planer.

I have the Byrd installed on my Grizzly 15” planner and it cuts very smoothly (and as important relatively quietly!). I have read the non-shearing style cutter heads (like the Grizz) can leave a slight “rippling effect” in the materiel (which I understand can be easily removed during final sanding). In either case, I think would will happy with either.

Just my $.02

I have a Shopfox 15" planer with the Grizzly carbide cutterhead installed from the factory. My Shopfox 8" jointer was ordered with straight knives; after they dulled I decided to buy a Byrd carbide cutterhead from Brian at Holbren. Installed it and both do essentially the same quality of work, i.e. I can see no discernible difference. 

There was a thread on this topic running a couple of years ago on this board, back when Papa Griz was an active participant. He said that in their testing facility in Washington they ran both heads side-by-side and could not tell the difference in the quality of the cut.

IIRC, Grizzly sells both.

Doug
Didn't think Grizzly made one for the DW735.

I have some of the OEM diameter ones coming in Monday, moving in that direction over the smaller diameter "standard" head.  Only issue with the OEM ones is you have to take the cutters off before installing but it will match the OEM diameter when done.
(03-06-2018, 04:32 PM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: Didn't think Grizzly made one for the DW735.

Only issue with the OEM ones is you have to take the cutters off before installing but it will match the OEM diameter when done.

That's not a bad idea anyway. Installing those can give you lots of little nicks and cuts on your fingers (don't ask), plus when I put one on my Delta I cracked on the inserts during the process (yeah, I'm a clutz). Besides, it's not a bad idea to clean the seats and re torque the inserts.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I admit to being impatient right up front, so.....

I decided to go with the Byrd head from Brian.  I've  called, sent PM, and emailed.  No response.  Just my luck that I happen to make the decision at the same time the fellow takes a break.  Oh well.  I do remember when I got to take Spring Break and vacation.
(03-15-2018, 11:18 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: I admit to being impatient right up front, so.....

I decided to go with the Byrd head from Brian.  I've  called, sent PM, and emailed.  No response.  Just my luck that I happen to make the decision at the same time the fellow takes a break.  Oh well.  I do remember when I got to take Spring Break and vacation.
lol.  Brian will get back to you.  But honestly if I was in Florida, on a day like today, I might not answer your call either...
Update:  You guys are correct, doing business with Bryan is a pleasure.  I am not very "mechanically minded" and was not looking forward to the installation.  Wow, the instructions Holbren have prepared are great!

I am a happy camper.