Burl veneer ID need help
I found a gorgeous antique cylinder top desk at a thrift store. The drawers in the cubby have a kind of starburst veneer. I need to make 2 drawers that are missing.i looked online at veneer suppliers and since I'm color blind, they almost all look the same to me.
I know this is a shot in the dark, but anyone recognize what this could be, or have a suggestion for what to use?
Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-03-2018, 02:58 PM)johndi Wrote: I found a gorgeous antique cylinder top desk at a thrift store. The drawers in the cubby have a kind of starburst veneer. I need to make 2 drawers that are missing.i looked online at veneer suppliers and since I'm color blind, they almost all look the same to me.
I know this is a shot in the dark, but anyone recognize what this could be, or have a suggestion for what to use?
Thanks

Since the veneer has almost certainly been stained, it's hard to tell the species.  My guess is that the veneer is likely mahogany or walnut crotch, since those 2 species were widely used for antques.   My suggestion is to take one of the existing doors with you to Rockler or Woodcraft and let them help you.   If my guess is correct, they might be able to recommend the appropriate stain and finish as well
Thanks that makes sense as I pretty sure the desk is made from mahogany .
Never thought to bring a drawer with me!
Johndi,
It would be helpful if you included photographs of the entire piece. Whenever I’m trying to make an identification like this, I am helped a great deal by context.
Context would give me clues about things like style, country of origin, approximate year the article might have been built, whether it is original of its type or a revival, etc. Trying to guess here is folly.
FTR, the material does not appear to be crotch. I have an original surmise, but what’s the point? Any guess I make without context could easily be rendered absurdly off base by the first revelation of the larger picture. Do you have a Neoclassical piece? Italian? German? Biedermeier? Is this an American piece? Is it an Edwardian revival piece? I have no clue.
<edit> looks like it *might* have some Eastlake qualities
(03-05-2018, 10:36 PM)Paul K. Murphy Wrote: Johndi,
It would be helpful if you included photographs of the entire piece. Whenever I’m trying to make an identification like this, I am helped a great deal by context.
Context would give me clues about things like style, country of origin, approximate year the article might have been built, whether it is original of its type or a revival, etc. Trying to guess here is folly.
FTR, the material does not appear to be crotch. I have an original surmise, but what’s the point? Any guess I make without context could easily be rendered absurdly off base by the first revelation of the larger picture. Do you have a Neoclassical piece? Italian? German? Biedermeier? Is this an American piece? Is it an Edwardian revival piece? I have no clue.
<edit> looks like it *might* have some Eastlake qualities

This is her as found. Needs some TLC.

Attached Files Image(s)

You might find it much easier, and best match, to do all the drawers with whatever veneer you choose to make the missing drawers. You would then have much more design choice when it comes to grain and color matching.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Eastlake. American.
Likely walnut butt, though these days most do not use that language. It’s called burl these days.
https://www.certainlywood.com/results-wo...&menu=Burl
Try 1604-1E, that might match somewhat.
It would be interesting to learn how the drawers are joined. Pin and scallop? Dovetail? Are the bottoms solid wood? Etc., etc.
<edit> Keep in mind, this is “best guess.”