Stupid question about Saw Blades
(03-05-2018, 05:26 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: New question then: 

What is more important?  The quality of the blade to begin with, or the quality of the sharpening?  
Are you a hand tool guy? Here is an analogy.

You can put a high quality sharp iron in a warped and rusty old plane and you will get shavings.
You can put a cheap quality but well sharpened blade iron in a well tuned planebody and get shavings. At least for a little while.
Or you can put a quality and sharp blade in a a well tuned plane and it will make music doing its thing in the wood.
They all make shavings of one sort or another. The commonality is the irons need to be sharp enough to cut those shavings.
You choose the time, effort, and $$ you want to put in for your level of workability and satisfaction needed.

Saw blades are the same. They need to be sharp and well tuned to do a good job. 
Most of the sharpness and tuning are built into the saw blade and out of your control. 
But do not forget about the ones in your control like storing it somewhere safe, keeping it sharpened by someone who knows how, and keeping it clean of built up pitch.
BTW, The two people I personally know who are into the Forrest blades swear by them and send them back to Forrest for sharpening on the factory equipment.
I am personally not a Forrest user. Tried one once but was not blown away by the difference to other quality blades and it tended to burn easily. I sold that saw blade to a fellow woodneter but this was at least 8 years ago.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Forrest sharpens their own blades, so it makes more sense to me to send it to them for sharpening.  Freud doesn't sharpen blades, but they have recommended sharpening businesses.  I assume they know how to sharpen a Freud blade. There was a thread about a sharpening company on here not all that long ago, I think they would probably replicate the original grind.

The FWW article about combo blades convinced me to get the Freud they picked as the best combo blade. I'm just not up to switching blades regularly, so I prefer a combo blade.