Help with picture frame embellishments?
(03-06-2018, 11:00 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'll eventually build that sled; I've been eyeing it for a while.

My Incra 1000SE cuts perfect 45* miters, so for small stuff like this, it works well.

But I'm still lusting after that sled...

The sled is pretty awesome, I made some upgrades that took it even further, it changed the way I crosscut.  My Incra does not get used much anymore.
A carpenter's house is never done.
The almost-finished product. Gotta order glass before I glue it up.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Cool  Lookin good. Is your face angle cut, or just flat? I can't tell by the pic.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It's flat. I pondered a beveled face, but for my first attempt, I'll go the simpler route.

I'll play with some scrap of the same size and see if it'll work.
Semper fi,
Brad

That looks nice.   Look forward to seeing it stained and glassed.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Very nice work and I like the Maple in-lay for contrast.
Excellent... too much more and as others have said, the frame would compete with the artwork for attention.
I never cared for overdone gaudy frames.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Looks good, Mac!
Yes

The biggest thing I've learned with picture frames is to keep the profile simple. The more you try to embellish the face, the harder it will be to align the miters at the corners - no matter how good your miters are. Careful gluing & clamping work, but I've found that sometimes the joints want to move just enough that they don't quite match. 
Crazy

You didn't mention how you were going to hang the picture/frame. I, personally, prefer to rout a slot in the back with a keyhole bit. This allows the frame to sit flush against the wall for a much cleaner look...  
Winkgrin

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Yes
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
It'll be hung with either two screws on the sides and braided steel wire or the serrated tooth thing centered at the top--I failed to take into consideration that the rawhide I'll be using to lace the piece to the backer will be proud of the back by about 1/8". I'm considering increasing the rabbet's depth a bit to cover that.

Thanks for all the praise, folks.
Semper fi,
Brad

Constantines is a good source for inlays and inlay borders.  They used to be in the Bronx when I was a kid, but apparently they are now in Florida (after yesterday's snow storm it seems like a good mover).

https://www.constantines.com/inlayborders.aspx

Here are couple of examples:

[Image: B15.jpg]

[Image: B368.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.