Why Do I Need My Table Saw?
(03-08-2018, 10:24 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Allan
  Where else are you going to put your turning blanks and other turning items.

Mel

I know that's tongue-in-cheek, but I have shelves for my turning blanks / shorts, and tool cabinets for my turning tools.  Every tool I have is mobile.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Why not sell off all the tools that you can't fit into a corner of your garage and setup a one stall workshop using smaller portable tools.

When I left my home/garage shop and decided to start doing some woodworking, I initially used a $50 Craigslist tablesaw, then upgraded to a $200 one.  What I am saying is if you get rid of your PM you could have a light portable table saw for cheap.  If you have only one stall to work with you could create a simple bench with Tablesaw, and router all in one.

http://www.aconcordcarpenter.com/paulk-w...eview.html
A carpenter's house is never done.
OK, just to clarify.  Here's what needs to fit into one stall of my garage:  

Sjoberg Elite 2500 workbench (8' long!) w/ cabinet for hand planes, etc.
Nova DVR Lathe
Jet 14" bandsaw
Jet Dust Collector (the big one with canister filter)
Delta Lunchbox Planer (on rolling platform with cabinet)
Rolling Tool Chest #1 (general marking & measuring tools, rasps, etc.)
Rolling Tool Chest #2 (lathe tools)
Stacked Festool Stuff
Festool Dust Collector w/ Dust Deputy
Wood
Various cordless and portable tools (drills, trim routers, etc.)
Mechanics & Other Hand Tools (general stuff)
Two to three shelving units for storage of containers, hardware, glue, etc.
Metal cabinet for storage of finishes, glue, etc.

What I am considering to sell or put into storage:
Powermatic PM2000 TS
Makita Miter Saw with Stand
Router Table
TS Accessories
Rigid Oscillating Spindle Sander
Delta Drill Press (maybe - it sure comes in handy for drilling pen blanks)

I could pile it up and it would occupy the entire space, meaning I'd have to leave a car in the driveway to work wood, or I could spread things out so it's a usable space.  I'm kinda doubting I will be able to spread things out.  Adding a "small" contractor or jobsite saw is just additional footprint that I really don't have.  In my last home, all this stuff took up 2 stalls of space, and I couldn't park in the garage when I was working wood.  This is my dilemma.  Momma wants to park in the garage.  I do also, especially when it's raining (which happens a lot in Florida).

Yes, I could have looked for a house with no HOA restrictions or out in the country.  Orlando is growing like crazy, so good deals are few and far between.  As well, the most important thing in our home search was a home in a nice neighborhood where our daughter could go to the highest rated school in the area.  We met those criteria.  Having enough space for my complete shop would have been a bonus.  The reality is I need to downsize or pay for storage for at least 5 years (when I retire).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I would eliminate "Storage for 5 years" as an option.

The value of what you lose paying rent wouldn't be an option for me... I would rather sell that stuff (post it for sale at relatively high prices, your car can stay outside a few more weeks til it sells).  When you retire, if you want them back, if you buy used, you'll be able to find stuff in the same general price range.  

So, Just to clean up your decision.. In my opinion, your choices are, sell the tools or find a way to squeeze them in.  Eliminate a variable.
(03-08-2018, 02:36 PM)AHill Wrote: The main panel is not in the garage, where I'd keep my tools.  I checked also and the panel has no open breaker spots.  It's a large home with a pool and other unique electrical devices.  The laundry room is upstairs, so that would make for a very long extension cord, probably unsafe as the voltage drop would be significant by the time it makes it to the TS.  Besides, it's really more of a space issue than a power source issue.

Allan

If you need more room in the CB box all you need to do is get the thin CBs which are the same amps.  Then you can put a 220 in its place.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-08-2018, 07:16 PM)AHill Wrote:   This is my dilemma.  Momma wants to park in the garage.  I do also, especially when it's raining (which happens a lot in Florida).

Indoor parking is over-rated.  My truck last Sunday.  It may take 15 minutes to warm up the truck brush off the snow, but having a shop is worth it.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-08-2018, 08:44 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Allan

If you need more room in the CB box all you need to do is get the thin CBs which are the same amps.  Then you can put a 220 in its place.

Does not fit all systems.  i have Square-D panel and bought a set of double breakers (two breakers in one body).  It does not fit in my version of square-D panel.

If he gets rid of his Tablesaw he won't need 220 unless his dust big dust collector needs it.
(03-08-2018, 10:44 PM)photobug Wrote: Indoor parking is over-rated.  My truck last Sunday.  It may take 15 minutes to warm up the truck brush off the snow, but having a shop is worth it.

(03-08-2018, 10:51 PM)photobug Wrote: Does not fit all systems.  i have Square-D panel and bought a set of double breakers (two breakers in one body).  It does not fit in my version of square-D panel.

If he gets rid of his Tablesaw he won't need 220 unless his dust big dust collector needs it.

You might want to double-check if you still need the extra space. My guess is there is probably a double breaker made for your particular model of Square D. I have 4 panels in my house now (as a result of an addition/remodel) and they are of different varieties (I installed two). Have double breakers in at least a couple of them which really helped out, especially in the shop area. 

Doug
(03-08-2018, 02:37 PM)AHill Wrote: I know that's tongue-in-cheek, but I have shelves for my turning blanks / shorts, and tool cabinets for my turning tools.  Every tool I have is mobile.

Sorry,Allan,couldn't resist.Good luck with the move.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I've got an obviously out of the ordinary reply since no one else has mentioned it. When I had a small shop I had a Radial Arm Saw. I still have it even though I have a table saw now. I could do just about everything my table saw can do and also more than my table saw. It needs a little more care and adjustment for good results but it rarely moved away from against the wall. Some folks are scared of a RAS but if you think things through you rarely have a problem. I never had a safety issue in 20+ years. Yes if I had to go back to a smaller shop I would ditch the table saw and keep the RAS.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.