Enduro-Var Bubbles
I am working on a small silverware caddy and applying the finish by hand before I assemble it.  My shop is too cold this time of year to spray so I am working in the house.  I am using GF Enduro-Var.  It levels well and I like the way it looks - the wood is Sapele.  I applied the first coat with a foam brush.  It was simple to apply and looked fine.  The second coat went on fine but had some tiny bubbles.  I sanded with 600 grit to remove the bubbles and applied the third coat - more bubbles.

I stir the finish slowly when mixing so as not to introduce bubbles and I've tried laying it on thicker/thinner.  Tried a golden taklon brush and moving the brush slower/faster but the end result is the same.  I tried a pad applicator too.  Are bubbles to be expected like dust nibs?  I'm not getting a lot of bubbles but I'd prefer to not have any.  What can I do to eliminate this problem?

Lonnie
(03-06-2018, 06:44 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I am working on a small silverware caddy and applying the finish by hand before I assemble it.  My shop is too cold this time of year to spray so I am working in the house.  I am using GF Enduro-Var.  It levels well and I like the way it looks - the wood is Sapele.  I applied the first coat with a foam brush.  It was simple to apply and looked fine.  The second coat went on fine but had some tiny bubbles.  I sanded with 600 grit to remove the bubbles and applied the third coat - more bubbles.

I stir the finish slowly when mixing so as not to introduce bubbles and I've tried laying it on thicker/thinner.  Tried a golden taklon brush and moving the brush slower/faster but the end result is the same.  I tried a pad applicator too.  Are bubbles to be expected like dust nibs?  I'm not getting a lot of bubbles but I'd prefer to not have any.  What can I do to eliminate this problem?

Lonnie

Hmm, I've never had bubble trouble with EnduroVar.  I would try adding 5% water or, better yet, 3 - 5% Extender and see if that cures the problem.  Everything is at 65F or higher, right?

John
(03-06-2018, 06:52 PM)jteneyck Wrote:  Hmm, I've never had bubble trouble with EnduroVar.  I would try adding 5% water or, better yet, 3 - 5% Extender and see if that cures the problem.  Everything is at 65F or higher, right?

John

House temp is 70-72.  I wondered about using Extender.  I'll pick some up tomorrow and try it.  I haven't had this problem before but always sprayed it.  This is my first time applying by hand.  Something I noticed is that I had no bubbles at all when applying the first coat to dry wood.  One thing for sure - applying finish by hand certainly makes you appreciate spraying!

Lonnie
I've used lots of this and have not noticed a bubble problem. I do know that most of these water based products can
be affected by temp and humidity: and this time of year in Ohio, your indoor humidity level may be quite low: just a thought.
I tried the extender last night and also warmed up the house a few more degrees.  I added 4-5% of extender.  It didn't get rid of all the bubbles but it definitely helped.  After applying I could see some of the smaller bubbles disappear as I watched.  Tonight I'm going to sand back and level and then I'm going to increase the extender to about 10%.  (GF website says 10-15% is o.k.)  I'm going to turn up the heat too.

Phillip - My humidity is usually in the low 40s so that could be a factor too.  We'll see what happens tonight with the changes I'm making.

Lonnie
Make sure you gently stir the contents and don't shake the can.  Shaking will introduce bubbles.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Good video on bubble free oil poly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_GWXcydu5k

YouTube has some good videos on bubble free poly finishing.
Sounds like the finish is too thick, and needs thinned.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-14-2018, 02:13 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Sounds like the finish is too thick, and needs thinned.
Thinning makes it dry faster.  Most of the bubbles will resolve themselves if it takes long enough to dry.  If it is being applied in the Mojave Desert then maybe it is drying too fast.

In my somewhat damp basement the bubbles in oil based poly always seem to pop on their own.  But I am careful to stir the finish and not shake it.  And never used a electric drill mixer for itl.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.