OK so I need some insight on two tools
before I go to S&S to get what I need hopefully.

First off I need a vise to my work bench.  I would like to be at least 6" wide but rather want bigger.  I had a guy who was selling two in S&S a year ago and I was going to get one for a song but he never contacted me again.

Next is a Grinder and would like it to be VS and if not at least 3450 rpm.  I have seen the new Craftsman and other knock offs like theirs but I really do not like them at all and seem they would break in a few months.
So let me know what a good older one to ask for or look for that is within my price range.  Do not ask me what the price range is because it is do to my Superiors OK.

Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-08-2018, 09:24 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: before I go to S&S to get what I need hopefully.

First off I need a vise to my work bench.  I would like to be at least 6" wide but rather want bigger.  I had a guy who was selling two in S&S a year ago and I was going to get one for a song but he never contacted me again.

Next is a Grinder and would like it to be VS and if not at least 3450 rpm.  I have seen the new Craftsman and other knock offs like theirs but I really do not like them at all and seem they would break in a few months.
So let me know what a good older one to ask for or look for that is within my price range.  Do not ask me what the price range is because it is do to my Superiors OK.

Thanks
For the vise the width isn't really an issue because a metal one you'd probably want to add a wood jaw to it.  That's what I would do.

So most any vise hardware would work.  I really like my small tail vise that is made from the small vise hardware (letter A)

I added an 18" wide jaw and it works great as a full width tail vise.

For a grinder I'd just get a any basic 6" grinder that you can.

I have never really wanted a variable speed.  
In my opinion, the secret to not burning your tools (if that's your concern) is to dress the wheel with a diamond dresser often and use a very very light touch.  And you'll be fine.

My grinder is some no-name brand that someone gave me.

I'd love a nicer one but this one works just fine and I'd rather spend my limited funds on other things.
Peter

My "day job"
(03-08-2018, 09:40 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: For the vise the width isn't really an issue because a metal one you'd probably want to add a wood jaw to it.  That's what I would do.

So most any vise hardware would work.  I really like my small tail vise that is made from the small vise hardware (letter A)

I added an 18" wide jaw and it works great as a full width tail vise.

For a grinder I'd just get a any basic 6" grinder that you can.

I have never really wanted a variable speed.  
In my opinion, the secret to not burning your tools (if that's your concern) is to dress the wheel with a diamond dresser often and use a very very light touch.  And you'll be fine.

My grinder is some no-name brand that someone gave me.

I'd love a nicer one but this one works just fine and I'd rather spend my limited funds on other things.

Thanks Peter.

I have a CBN Wheel that fits on an 8" wheel so I should have said that to.

Thanks for the link on the for the vise and that is a good price to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(03-08-2018, 09:24 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: before I go to S&S to get what I need hopefully.

Thanks

I have an extra Columbian 7cd (I think that was the designation).  If you want it, its yours.  I just live across the river in Bellevue now so I could bring it by sometime over the weekend.  If I recall you live just south of Council Bluffs.
Pat
(03-09-2018, 01:21 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thanks Peter.

I have a CBN Wheel that fits on an 8" wheel so I should have said that to.

Thanks for the link on the for the vise and that is a good price to.

Arlin, the Delta VS 8' grinder is what I would recommend, mainly because you can slow it down to around 2300RPM which is a good speed for the CBN wheel..I have a two-speed 8" grinder with my CBN on one side and an 8" buffing wheel on the other. I almost never use the hi-speed on this grinder. and IMO 3600rpm is way too fast for the CBN. Much better control running it on low speed, and if I could, I would run it even slower.
I am building a ball-bearing arbor for it with a "soft" wire brush on one side and the CBN on the other..I will run it half speed with a 1725rpm motor...It's all made..just have to mount it ..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Well today I was to meet Pat at 12:30 and for some dumb thinking I told my wife 1:30 so I missed him and I was quite disgusted with myself.

He did leave the vise he mentioned above and I am looking forward to cleaning it up and re oiling it.

Thank You Pat and again Sorry I missed you.

Also it is so nice to have someone around who can teach me something now to.
Yes
Yes
Cool

You can always run a stepped pulley in a 1750rpm motor and a belt to an arbor.

www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/polishing-tools-accessories/buffer-arbors/330-arbor-sku177300330-4988-11235.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-177-300-330&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=177-300-330
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(03-11-2018, 06:04 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: You can always run a stepped pulley in a 1750rpm motor and a belt to an arbor.

www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/polishing-tools-accessories/buffer-arbors/330-arbor-sku177300330-4988-11235.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-177-300-330&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=177-300-330

I am so glad you mentioned that.  I have something almost exactly like that which needs a V belt and has two oil ports on each side, however, I think the shaft is 1/2" and not 5/8" which I could shim anyway.  I now remember where I go it and it was EBay about 6 years ago for only $12.  I will have to find it and take a picture of it to let you guys see if it will work.

(03-09-2018, 02:22 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,
Arlin, the Delta VS 8' grinder is what I would recommend, mainly because you can slow it down to around 2300RPM which is a good speed for the CBN wheel..I have a two-speed 8" grinder with my CBN on one side and an 8" buffing wheel on the other. I almost never use the hi-speed on this grinder. and IMO 3600rpm is way too fast for the CBN. Much better control running it on low speed, and if I could, I would run it even slower.
   I am building a ball-bearing arbor for it with a "soft" wire brush on one side and the CBN on the other..I will run it half speed with a 1725rpm motor...It's all made..just have to mount it ..

Jack

A friend has one of those and he thinks it is not the best out there.

(03-15-2018, 01:08 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Jack

A friend has one of those and he thinks it is not the best out there.
Well, I don't personally own a Delta but which one does he like better and why?? I know you can buy a Jet for $469.00 but who needs one of those except for a commercial shop? They're all made in China and likely in the same factory.
Crazy ..If your friend with the Delta is running two CBN wheels, the shaft may be slow to get turning on any of the 1/2hp motors...The 1/2HP two-speed grinder I use has a CBN wheel on one side and an 8" muslin buff on the other and it starts fine. The muslin buff is very light weight compared to the wheel and that makes a difference.

IMO, if you think you need a more powerful grinder, the least expensive way to get it is build a Ball Bearing Mandrel bench unit driven with a 1/2HP motor equipped with a 2" pulley and the mandrel a 4" pulley. The ratio will provide plenty of torque..I personally never run my CBN wheel at 3450RPM..there's no need to. The 180grit is ideal IMO at half that speed...One important thing..If you build a mandrel unit, make sure to buy accurately machined adapters that FIT the shaft properly and lock down with Allen set-screws....some of the really cheap adapters are bored LARGE and no matter what you do, they will not run true. DAHIKT !!!!!
Upset
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset