Got a Stanley 45 Today

Picked this up today - $50. Glad to have it, but now I have to learn how to use it. Guy said he was “done trying to figure it out” - off to find a manual or some YouTube. John

Attached Files Image(s)

Re: Got a Stanley 45 Today by jcredding (Picked this up today...)
(03-10-2018, 07:44 PM)jcredding Wrote: Picked this up today - $50.  Glad to have it, but now I have to learn how to use it.  Guy said he was “done trying to figure it out” - off to find a manual or some YouTube.  John

Very nice, good for you, you'll enjoy it.  Oh, and as to the price, let me be the first:

Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
There is plenty on Youtube  showing how to use one of these.. Cool

or read along on my build blogs..

They can be a fun plane to use....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
You stole that for $50.00
For US $50.00, I would have a friction burn on my hand from getting my wallet out!

Nice score, very nice score.

Still need a manual? See Lee Valley --"The Stanley Combination Planes -- the 45, The 50, and The 55."

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...46107&ap=1

And all that information for the princely sum of US$7.50 shjipping

"This book contains reprints of original owners' booklets for #45s, #50s and #55s with complete instructions for use and detailed parts lists with exploded diagrams.

"Softcover, saddle stitched, 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", 48 pages. Originally published in 1940; reprinted in 2001 as part of our Classic Reprint Series."
  Re: RE: Got a Stanley 45 Today by bandit571 (There is plenty on Y...)
(03-10-2018, 09:44 PM)bandit571 Wrote: There is plenty on Youtube  showing how to use one of these.. Cool

or read along on my build blogs..

They can be a fun plane to use....

Could we have a link to your blog, please?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
  Re: RE: Got a Stanley 45 Today by iclark ([quote='bandit571' p...)
(03-11-2018, 01:45 AM)iclark Wrote: Could we have a link to your blog, please?

Well there IS one on here right now.  "Bought some lumber..."
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
  Re: RE: Got a Stanley 45 Today by Ray Newman (For US $50.00, I wou...)
(03-10-2018, 11:40 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: For US $50.00, I would have a friction burn on my hand from getting my wallet out!

Nice score, very nice score.

Still need a manual? See Lee Valley --"The Stanley Combination Planes -- the 45, The 50, and The 55."

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/page.as...46107&ap=1

And all that information for the princely sum of US$7.50 shjipping

"This book contains reprints of original owners' booklets for #45s, #50s and #55s with complete instructions for use and detailed parts lists with exploded diagrams.

"Softcover, saddle stitched, 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", 48 pages. Originally published in 1940; reprinted in 2001 as part of our Classic Reprint Series."

Here's what came with the plane originally:

http://tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/co.../45man.pdf
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks all. Admiral - that is very helpful and I’ll have to see if anything is missing. I was encouraged it may be complete when I saw that it had spurs in the original small (and sealed) paper envelope. The rosewood is in great shape, though there is a small crack on one side of the handle.

Going to be interesting to learn how and where to use it.
Lots of information online.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but I find it a really helpful tool, that you got at a really good price.

Take a minute with a straight edge of some kind - the rule on your combination square, for instance - to check that the skates on the main body and the sliding section are straight in both dimensions - rule along the side and along the bottom. If they're not, you will be endlessly frustrated trying to make the tool work.