Question about possible sale
Ok, I need to thin my tool herd. I had a yard sale yesterday and sold a couple of things. I still have a couple of larger items, a Bosch Laser level kit, a tripod, a Freud wooden jointer plane and a small Kennedy machinist chest. Shipping would not be cheap. I would like to sell them here as opposed to Craigslist.

Any thoughts on how to ship larger items at a reasonable price? Is it best to just list them on Craigslist and hope for the best?

Local pickup is always an option. Everything is zip 20659, I could meet someone anywhere around DC or along the I-95 between here and Philadelphia, wife is from Philly so we go there all of the time.

Opinions appreciated.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
List them here and see if someone local is interested, and depending on size, there are large flat rate boxes that could accommodate at least the jointer and for the larger items, you never know how much the shipping might be until you calculate based on weight. For example, I shipped a Kennedy toolbox to Hawaii for $40 so that would likely be the top price.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-11-2018, 10:52 AM)Admiral Wrote: List them here and see if someone local is interested, and depending on size, there are large flat rate boxes that could accommodate at least the jointer and for the larger items, you never know how much the shipping might be until you calculate based on weight.  For example, I shipped a Kennedy toolbox to Hawaii for $40 so that would likely be the top price.

I've always used USPS, rates are high with large items. How'd you ship yours to Hawaii ? I may end up with more items if shipping is reasonable.

Thanks
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I have found Fedex to be significantly less expensive for large and heavy items, sometimes $10-15 less than USPS or UPS.

I'd be interested in seeing some photos of the Kennedy and the Bosch laser level. You can send them directly to my email researchr1 "at" yahoo "dot" com.

Thanks,
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(03-11-2018, 11:24 AM)museumguy Wrote: I've always used USPS, rates are high with large items. How'd you ship yours to Hawaii ? I may end up with more items if shipping is reasonable.

Thanks

USPS...
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-11-2018, 06:09 PM)Admiral Wrote: USPS...

I happen to be the guy from Hawaii lucky enough to have purchased Admiral's Kennedy Tool Box (as well as a BUNCH of his underpriced gems)!  Just wanted to say that I've never had a problem on my end (damages, missing items etc.).  But then, Admiral does go above and beyond in packing and wrapping his tools...

Earl
(03-11-2018, 08:56 PM)thomaskila Wrote: I happen to be the guy from Hawaii lucky enough to have purchased Admiral's Kennedy Tool Box (as well as a BUNCH of his underpriced gems)!  Just wanted to say that I've never had a problem on my end (damages, missing items etc.).  But then, Admiral does go above and beyond in packing and wrapping his tools...

Earl

Another savings possibility is USPS "regional rate" boxes
Found the following online:
There are two types of USPS Priority Mail® Regional Rate boxes:
  • USPS Regional Rate Box A: Shipments of up to 15 lbs

• USPS Regional Rate Box B: Shipments of up to 20 lbs
Unlike flat rate boxes which cost the same regardless of destination, the rate you pay for Regional Rate boxes varies based on how far you are sending them (e.g. what zone or “region”). However, in a sense it is a “flat” rate because the shipping costs the same, regardless of weight, for packages shipped to the same “zone.” Most online merchants can find savings by using Regional Rate boxes within their shipping service mix.
One important detail to remember: Regional Rates are strictly an online service. You can’t get the boxes at your local post office, and if you buy the postage for them at the post office, they will add a fee to the overall price.
For example, if you ship a 10 lb package across the country from Houston, TX to Manhattan, NY, here are the rates:
Priority Mail® Medium Flat Rate Box costs $12.05 (ShippingEasy rate)
Priority Mail® costs $24.41
Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box A costs only $9.19 (ShippingEasy rate)
SAVINGS on postage: $2.86 – $15.22

Now – if you ship this same 10 lb. package closer to home (where Regional Rate excels) from Houston, TX to Austin, TX, look at the savings:
Priority Mail® Medium Flat Rate Box costs $12.05 (ShippingEasy rate)
Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box A costs only $6.52 (ShippingEasy rate)
SAVINGS on postage: $5.53
What do you want for the Bosch Laser level kit?
Wish I had known about the yard sale! I would have stopped by just to say hi!
Semper fi,
Brad

I've shipped bulky items on Greyhound. Not sure they go to Hawaii though.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure