Unstained cedar deck?
(03-16-2018, 08:24 AM)tomsteve Wrote: if you wanted, you could add joists to break the span down to 12" OC and do composite.

there really isn that much maintenance required on a deck,though. sealing and staining, with the right products, is maybe every 5 years?

Maybe where you live, but here in NY I had to do my PT deck at least every two years, and my new, Ipe' deck yearly.  Last year I put in at least 20 hours doing it.  My concrete patio took 10 minutes with a pressure washer.  I love how the Ipe' looks afterwards, but hate the time required.  

John
tomsteve,

=_=_=_=_=
if you wanted, you could add joists to break the span down to 12" OC and do composite.
=_=_=_=_=

I thought of that. But taking a second look I realized there was a problem with the whole idea of using composite. The current deck floor is made with 2x6's and is level with the door sill. So even if I put in the extra joists I'd also need to put another 1x on top of the joists to bring the composite level up to where it should be. Which is changing a simple strip and replace into a more extensive rebuild than I was thinking of. Which takes me back to cedar.

Cliff
‘The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence
Charles Bukowski
(03-16-2018, 10:57 AM)cpolubin Wrote: tomsteve,

=_=_=_=_=
if you wanted, you could add joists to break the span down to 12" OC and do composite.
=_=_=_=_=

I thought of that. But taking a second look I realized there was a problem with the whole idea of using composite. The current deck floor is made with 2x6's and is level with the door sill. So even if I put in the extra joists I'd also need to put another 1x on top of the joists to bring the composite level up to where it should be. Which is changing a simple strip and replace into a more extensive rebuild than I was thinking of. Which takes me back to cedar.

Cliff

It may not be available at Home Depot, but some of the manufacturers make composite decking in 2x6 nominal sizing, check online or at a real lumberyard.  I got a deck planned for this summer.  I plan on going with composites because i would also rather spend time in the shop not working on the house.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-16-2018, 09:30 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Maybe where you live, but here in NY I had to do my PT deck at least every two years, and my new, Ipe' deck yearly.  Last year I put in at least 20 hours doing it.  My concrete patio took 10 minutes with a pressure washer.  I love how the Ipe' looks afterwards, but hate the time required.  

John

20 hours a year still aint much.
(03-16-2018, 01:59 PM)tomsteve Wrote: 20 hours a year still aint much.

It's about 19 hours and 50 minutes more than the concrete patio requires.  I'm not lazy and I don't mind putting in some effort to have it look nice, but 20 hours is still a lot in my book.  Realistically, I don't see it getting any less either, unless I start writing a check to have it done.  

John
(03-16-2018, 02:29 PM)jteneyck Wrote: It's about 19 hours and 50 minutes more than the concrete patio requires.  I'm not lazy and I don't mind putting in some effort to have it look nice, but 20 hours is still a lot in my book.  Realistically, I don't see it getting any less either, unless I start writing a check to have it done.  

John

Concrete costs three times as much, is very permanent, and unless it's very well designed it will have some ugly expansion joints. You can't change the color. You can't run wiring underneath it. 

Decks require more maintenance than concrete, but they have a lot of advantages.
(03-16-2018, 02:40 PM)FS7 Wrote: Concrete costs three times as much, is very permanent, and unless it's very well designed it will have some ugly expansion joints. You can't change the color. You can't run wiring underneath it. 

Decks require more maintenance than concrete, but they have a lot of advantages.

Three times as much for concrete? Well, my Ipe' deck that I built myself cost a LOT more per sq. ft. than the concrete patio I paid a contractor to do  Easily twice as much.

Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages.  My point was maintenance wise concrete wins hands down.  Pretty?  Not really.  Low maintenance?  Definitely.  Power wash once or twice a year, seal it every two years.  
John
(03-16-2018, 06:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote:   Well, my Ipe' deck that I built myself....

it reads like there in lies the maintenance issue- not the deck itself but the material chosen. ive built a few cedar,PT, and composite decks- all 3 dont require that much maintenance.
(03-18-2018, 06:21 AM)tomsteve Wrote: it reads like there in lies the maintenance issue- not the deck itself but the material chosen. ive built a few cedar,PT, and composite decks- all 3 dont require that much maintenance.

I did say earlier that my PT deck required maintenance at least every two years; probably 8 - 10 hours to clean it and re-stain it.    

If you have a wood deck and you want it to look good maintenance is an ongoing requirement.  If you like weathered gray, fine, you can do very little.  If you like the look of PT with solid stain; that doesn't require all that frequent maintenance either.  I'm not a fan of either.  And Ipe' requires essentially no maintenance if that's your preference; it certainly won't rot for 50+ years.  But I don't like the gray, weathered look; maybe I will in 20 years.  I knew maintenance was going to be required to maintain an un-weathered look when I built it; I just didn't know it was going to be as much as it is turning out to be.  

If anyone has any recommendations on Ipe' sealer that lasts longer than one year and prevents mold growth, I'm all ears.  I started with Ipe' Oil.  Four months.  Now I'm using Penofin Hardwood Oil (IIRC).  Might get a year out of it.  

John