My first turning in 14+ months
and it is for the Mothers day sale with the hand made roses

It is Honey Locust, Black Walnut and Padauk

[attachment=9109]

I hollowed out the bottom first and then added the top and used a 1" forstner bit.
This is the first time I used Honey Locust and had surprising nice figure in it.
I will get a side shot tomorrow since I was not thinking of it but I put a cove in the middle of it with two burn lines which I made out of baling wire.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Very nice!!
Ag

13, 14, 15, 16, there. 17.
Arlin, that's spiffy. I like the honey locust and walnut contrast.
Very nice. What’s the finish you used?
Don
(03-12-2018, 06:47 PM)DFJarvie Wrote: Very nice. What’s the finish you used?

Don

I am going to change the finish to wipe on poly which holds up much better and over that I will put on a sun block of 85%.

What it is now is the three Beall buffs and then two coats of Renaissance wax which may look nice but does not hold up with a lot of handling.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(03-16-2018, 03:50 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Don

I am going to change the finish to wipe on poly which holds up much better and over that I will put on a sun block of 85%.

What it is now is the three Beall buffs and then two coats of Renaissance wax which may look nice but does not hold up with a lot of handling.

Glad you're back in the shop. Nice work!
Thanks guys

This is the first time I did a hollow form.  I hollowed out the bottom to 3/16" and then glued on the top.  The top did have more Walnut on top of the Padauk and I thought just a little at the top would make it look nicer then just the Padauk on top.

I used the hollower that Tim Yoder sells.  He gave it to us because it has a flaw, but I looked really well and no flaw so he just gave us a brand new one with all the do dads.  I do not know if I told you in the past or not but he gave us all of his DVDs he sold or did on TV.  He did a lot of neat stuff on them.

good work, Arlin! nice to see you're back in the shop! I'm hopin' to get back in the shop this week myself. I've been out for almost 4 months due to my health. Keep spinnin'!
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(03-27-2018, 11:29 AM)sawdust703 Wrote: good work, Arlin! nice to see you're back in the shop! I'm hopin' to get back in the shop this week myself. I've been out for almost 4 months due to my health. Keep spinnin'!

I hope you get back at it soon buddy.  For me it sure was nice to do it.

thanks Arlin! I'm workin' on it! I had 2 heart attacks & a lung enbolism in December. Recoup has been slow, but I'm gainin'. My scroll saws & lathes are goin' to be callin' my buddies & lookin' for some action if I don't get back out there soon!
Wink
Wink And bein' stuck in this chair ain't doin' much for my disposition, either, Sir.

I appreciate the kind words, Mr. Arlin!
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised