I need a tile saw
(03-12-2018, 01:38 PM)Cooler Wrote: Which one?  The $67.00 ones have really flimsy fences.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea...=Tile+Saws

This one should work just fine for the size job you're talking about.  I bought one for a small job (tile top on a potting bench in our garden room).  It worked flawlessly.  It's now in a plastic bin with my other tile supplies waiting for the next small job.  As I recall, the blade was not included with the saw, or maybe I just decided to get a better one.
Bob
(03-12-2018, 02:34 PM)Cooler Wrote: It works like a table saw.  I only use my table saw with a fence or a miter gage.  Do I free-hand the cuts?

Yes.  Free-hand the cuts.   A tile saw with either a good enough fence to not free hand, or the style that works like a sliding miter saw where the blade slides above the work are both way too expensive for what you need.   From experience, the saws in your price range you will do better to free-hand.  It isn't difficult.  just mark the cut line and start cutting.  Tile isn't wood.  as long as you get the cut started on the line, it will want to stay there more than a saw blade through wood does.    For those times that I absolutely needed a straight edge, I clamped a square to the saw table and ran the tile against that.  

If it's a wet saw, stand out of the line of fire from the blade, else you will get soaked, rather than merely damp.  For some reason I've timed most of my tile jobs to be somewhere between november and march, when it's cold, and I was usually doing them on rainy days.
Yes HF. BIL bought one and used it, we inherited it and used it, then passed it on to a son, who is a contractor and still using it. It's the one with the stand. Water pump, etc.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Can you rent one from Home Depot?
Cellulose runs through my veins!
I've done a good bit of tile work and can't stand working with marble. Don't mind so much using it for shower curb caps. It can't be cut with a grinder because of chipping, won't score and snap like fired tile and it stains and wears poorly... it's soft.

That being said, I've cut it with wet saws but had poor luck with cheap wet saws and chipping. IMHO, use a decent saw, even if you have to rent it and a new diamond blade.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-12-2018, 08:55 PM)SteveS Wrote: Can you rent one from Home Depot?

For a days rental fee he can own a saw. Only makes sense to rent heavy equipment and very expensive tools.
(03-13-2018, 08:26 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: For a days rental fee he can own a saw. Only makes sense to rent heavy equipment and very expensive tools.
Plus I work slow and only a few hours a week, so this is likely to take more than one rental day.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I thought the last time we had this discussion there was a saw one step up from the HF or Skil that wasn't too expensive.
This Ryobi seems to be the next step up at $110.00, but it appears that it requires a blade, (It does not say it is included).  It is pumpless so I have to hook up to a garden hose.  The warmer weather is coming so that is probably OK.:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-7-in-4.../205049842

[Image: ryobi-wet-tile-saws-blades-ws722-64_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-13-2018, 10:19 AM)Cooler Wrote: This Ryobi seems to be the next step up at $110.00, but it appears that it requires a blade, (It does not say it is included).  It is pumpless so I have to hook up to a garden hose.  The warmer weather is coming so that is probably OK.:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-7-in-4.../205049842

Quote:
  • 7 in. continuous-rim diamond cutting wheel offers precision cutting and prevents chipping
[Image: ryobi-wet-tile-saws-blades-ws722-64_1000.jpg]