I need a tile saw
(03-14-2018, 07:41 AM)Cooler Wrote: The reason I chose marble is because it seems to be "timeless" as a design element and the marble is available for $4.00 per foot from Home Depot.  So the 35 tiles I need will cost just $140.00 and it will be "real" marble.  

I may end up doing all three bathrooms (two for sure).  The unifying design element will be the marble.  

I am not a very confident designer, so I looked on line for the "timeless" types of design and marble keeps coming up.

Plus in one episode of The Vanilla Ice Project, Rob said, "If you want to add glitz and value, think marble".  (Not an exact quote but close enough.)

Just remember that marble gets dirty very easy and it's a pain to clean as it soaks in the dirt. 

As for the material choice. I see marble like a white kitchen. It is never in style but not usually too far out of style. A friend bought a house with marble throughout the house. I spent a couple days with a harborfreight  SDS (the makita burned up after less than 10 minutes)  and chisel to remove all of it. The garbage guys were not happy with the endless trash cans of 1/2" thick marble. Then came a couple days with the floor buffer with the diamond head to grind all the thinset down to clean concrete.
I put marble in a sunroom about 30 years ago. Looked great for about five years. Finally took it out and put bamboo flooring in. I’ll never use marble again.
I don’t understand this recent push to put marble in everywhere, even kitchens. Marble only looks new for a short time and it stains easily.
I’ve heard of heat treated marble that holds up better, but have never seen it.
VH07V  
I get the cleaning issue and I will modify my plans.  

I live alone in a house with 2 full baths and one half bath.  Only the master bath gets used regularly.  The other baths get used a few times a year.  So the marble will stay for two baths and I will come up with something else for the master.  

Thanks for the information.

Cooler
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
While I agree it gets dull it looks great when new and polishing it back to where it started isn't that difficult.  I have had to do it twice in the bathroom both times cleaning products damaged the finish.  No polishing a floor with an angle grinder and safety gear isn't enjoyable but not that hard.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Update:  I ordered this Skill saw from Amazon.com @$140.00.

[Image: 71hQEPixEPL._SX425_.jpg]

The "splash guard" is supposed to contain the water and maybe (maybe) I will be able to use this before the weather turns warm in our basement.

It will also handle oversize tiles and I have not decided what to do in the master bath so I wanted to keep that option open.
Start doing your back stretches.  I did my entryway in tile 20 years ago, as well as a bathroom, my back has just stopped aching.  I was a younger fitter man back then and remember what a toll tiling took on my back.

I bought a $300 Rigid tile saw because after this half bath I have put off, I have the master bath to do and am considering putting in wood looking porcelain tile throughout the house if my back can handle it.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-16-2018, 11:02 AM)photobug Wrote: Start doing your back stretches.  I did my entryway in tile 20 years ago, as well as a bathroom, my back has just stopped aching.  I was a younger fitter man back then and remember what a toll tiling took on my back.

I bought a $300 Rigid tile saw because after this half bath I have put off, I have the master bath to do and am considering putting in wood looking porcelain tile throughout the house if my back can handle it.
This is an L-shaped half bath.  I figure I need 35 to 40 tiles total.  About 1/3 of them to be cut.

Which is easier to lay, 12" x 12" tiles or the over-sized ones?
Your floors better be level....real level....if you go with the very large tiles.
(03-16-2018, 01:09 PM)Cooler Wrote: This is an L-shaped half bath.  I figure I need 35 to 40 tiles total.  About 1/3 of them to be cut.

Which is easier to lay, 12" x 12" tiles or the over-sized ones?

I can't remember why the tile laying was difficult on my back.  I think between laying the backer board, then tiling then grouting it was multiple days in a row on hands and knees, it hurt.  Back in the day I did a very large entry area in 12x12 and a bathroom in 8x8.  The current bathroom I am doing in 6x36 wood look porcelain tile.  I am also using the same maker of tile in a darker shade for the shower wall.

Keys to a good tile job:
Flat floor to start
Cement backer board over the floor.
Do a dry layout, make sure there is no small tile on one side of the job.  It's easier to see your layout is not square if the tile is thin on one side.  It's easier to see a taper in a tile if it is 2" vs 6".  So you may have to start out the layout with a cut tile on one wall and have to cut tile for the last wall also.
Consider using a tile leveling system to make sure no lippage.

Here is the tile I am using in my bathroom.
A carpenter's house is never done.
(03-16-2018, 01:22 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Your floors better be level....real level....if you go with the very large tiles.

I created some divots with the power chisel.  I am going to pour some of that leveling compound on the floor.  The bathroom is over the basement but they poured a concrete base over the basement for the tile work.  I don't know if that is normal or not.

I chipped through some divots.  I will fill them with concrete and then pour the leveling compound.  It should be nice and level before I start.  This is my first tile job, so I will have to do some reading before plunging in.