Testing shallow well pipe ideas?
Got a shallow well problem, and want to check the well pipe itself for air leaks.
The check valve is above ground, before the pump.
Any ideas on testing?
I had an idea to remove the check valve, and put on a fitting, with a vacuum gauge and vacuum pump.
Pull a vacuum, and shut the pump off, and see if it holds vacuum. Yes? No? Maybe?
Can't seem to find a test method online. 
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(03-14-2018, 12:25 PM)Pirate Wrote: Got a shallow well problem, and want to check the well pipe itself for air leaks.
The check valve is above ground, before the pump.
Any ideas on testing?
I had an idea to remove the check valve, and put on a fitting, with a vacuum gauge and vacuum pump.
Pull a vacuum, and shut the pump off, and see if it holds vacuum. Yes? No? Maybe?
Can't seem to find a test method online. 
 What is it doing ?   Losing it's prime ?    As you pull a vacuum the water level will rise.    You could also add air pressure to push the water down and check the pressure.   Could the water level in the well have dropped enough it is sucking air if that is the problem.      Roly
The very new pump was working fine, then it wouldn't shut off. I messed with the cut in/out pressure switch, then bought a new one, and same problem. Then it was working ok for a short time. It's just a sprinkler pump.
Then it stopped. I cut the pvc pipe to get the check valve out, and replaced it. I used rubber pipe connectors to plumb in the new check valve, so I could remove in the future. It was working, then wouldn't shut off. Then it blew off the rubber connection, when it did shut off, and the pressure tank kept the system under 40#'s of pressure, all the way back stream to the check valve. 
Not realizing the pressure then, I figured the clamp was loose, and reassembled it.  A day later, the same thing!  I threw the tools down, and walked away. I didn't tell you, that's it's under a 4' wide shelf about 3' off the ground!
As it was starting the rainy season, I let it slide, and now, figured before I put the check valve back in, I would like to check the well pipe itself.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
Would it be easier to put one of these things on it and check with pressure instead of vacuum?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks for reminding me... My deep well jet pump died last summer and it's going to be replaced with a submersible pump as I finally found some reasonably priced 3.5" pumps (4" casing)

I would bet the issue is with the foot valve. I would disconnect the pipe to the well and put a cap on it with a Schrader valve and a pressure gauge would be very helpful as well. Then just fill it up to 50 pounds and see if it holds. A gauge on the cap would be easier than using a tire gauge. 

What kind of pump are you using? Depth of well etc. If it's a sprinkler pump instead of a shallow well pump that is an issue as they aren't the same thing and sprinkler pumps tend to not perform as well as an actual well jet pump. Is the venturi on the pump or down the well? Plastic foot valve(they don't last)?