Workshop layout planning?
I know Grizzly used to have a shop layout utility on their web sight and it looks like it's still there but won't work on an iPad

I'm in the planning phase of my dream shop and would like to see how my tools would fit in a 30x40 vs a 40x50

Does anyone know of an app for iPad that does this that would have a catalog of woodworking tools?

Duke
(03-16-2018, 05:13 PM)JDuke Wrote: I know Grizzly used to have a shop layout utility on their web sight and it looks like it's still there but won't work on an iPad

I'm in the planning phase of my dream shop and would like to see how my tools would fit in a 30x40 vs a 40x50

Does anyone know of an app for iPad that does this that would have a catalog of woodworking tools?

Duke

Nothing works well on an Ipad.  It's a great tool for somethings but a blunt instrument for most things.  I don't even like typing on one.

You should try a computer and a laptop and use the Grizzly layout tool or Sketchup.  I'll let you know right now everything much better in a 40x50.
Winkgrin
A carpenter's house is never done.
Here's my take: If you can afford it, go with the 40 x 50' building. When I had my 30 x 36' detached shop built in 2001, I thought it would be big enough. Had the funds and opportunity to make it larger for not much more money and foolishly decided not to do so.

When I did the tool floor plan/lay out for my shop, I made a 1" equals 1' scale drawing of the building and tools. I then made cardboard cut outs of the tools and moved them around until I was satisfied. This was easier for me than a computer generated lay out.
I've never planned out a shop.  But I have been through the planning and building of two office buildings.  For me, a good drawing of the space and cut outs of the items offers endless variations.  Place the tool cut outs, take a picture, move the tools, take a picture, move the .........and so on.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I can't help with the shop layout but bigger is normally better. I am just finishing my shop 44' x 48' with attic trusses. I am kicking myself for not making it longer.
Building My Dream Shop In North West Montana
(03-16-2018, 05:13 PM)JDuke Wrote: I know Grizzly used to have a shop layout utility on their web sight and it looks like it's still there but won't work on an iPad

Duke

Perhaps your local public library has a computer section that would allow you to access the Grizzly tool. I have used the plan, it works well.
Ag
My suggestion for a 40x50 foot shop is a bit tongue in cheek.  My garage floor space when you remove the storage, water heater, etc is only 18x18'.

One suggestion for design though is to factor in the size of each machine and the space you need around it.  When I helped design my own home a few decades ago I had an architecture book that would show implements and the recommended clearance around it.  For instance a toilet may only be 15" wide by 30 deep.  You block out a minimum of 30x50".  Figure out the space and clearance you need around each tool to make sure your layout gives you room to move and move lumber around.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Can't help with the layout tool, but built my shop 25 x 40 and really wish I had gone bigger. Go Bigger!

John
Funny thing is my wife is telling me go bigger also.

I have a desktop that I can use to get to Grizzlys online tool, I just assumed there would be a similar tool available for iPad also.

I'm surprised that there isn't one with a catalog of tools similar to the one on Grizzlys web sight, available for iPad.

I suppose there are probably models somewhere on sketchup, but I don't know if that's usable on iPad either.

Thanks
Duke
Regardless of your layout, go for the 40 x 50. If your layout is too spacious, add more tools to suit.

Regardless of what you do, you will find your shop starts to shrink after a while.